Budget AV Receiver with Magnepan

I'm looking to build a 5 channel home theater/music system using Magnepan MMG-W's and CC2 (or possibly MC1's for FR and FL) with a Monitor Audio sub. Now I'm looking at inexpensive used high end AV receivers to tie it all together:

Rotel - 1055 75x5

NAD - T744 (can be had refurbished with warranty) 5x50W, not sure if this is enough to drive the Magnepans?

NAD - T754, a bit more power, can be had with warranty

B&K AVR 202 - 105 x 5, I've heard one of these and liked it, it's a bit older than the rest

Cambridge Audio 540R - 80 x 6, nice looking unit but haven't heard much about them compared to NAD/Rotel/B&K

And advice/experience on any of these would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy with 5 channel DTS, don't need HDMI (although would be nice), want something that can drive the small Maggies without struggling (don't need ground shaking volume here), and I want something that sounds *good*. I'm coming from a small Denon 75w x 5 Dobly Digital surround receiver (driving Monitor Audio Silver 5i's). I know seperates are better, but I'm trying to keep the wife happy ($$$). Thanks!

Brad
bfrank1972
Holy you-know-what. If you found a Rotel RSX-1065 for less than $300, you got the bargain of the century. You do realize that a new one was over $2,000, right? Anyway, I'd say your done shopping. The 1065 is actually overkill for your setup. Enjoy it.
Yeah I know! It looks brand new and I felt like a thief walking out of the store with it - it's a local hi-fi shop as well who said they'd give me 14 days if anything went wrong with it. Mission accomplished ;) Thanks for your help!
I think you can find a Denon AVR 3806 (which does have HDMI switching) in your price range, and it will definitely drive the Maggies. I owned this reciever, and loved it. I have had some very serious problems with NAD recievers and would never buy one again.

I have never owned one, but have heard and been impressed by the Marantz recievers over the past few years.

Good luck.
08-04-08: Bfrank1972
Hah well I was actually looking at the option of my Denon with the Parasound 1205 (a couple on Audiogon for sale), but then I stumbled across a Rotel RSX-1065 ... at a price I couldn't turn down (<$300).
Dude! Score!

I hadn't thought about Rotel in your original post. Based on listening auditions I've done, Rotel is one of the few receivers that should make your Maggies sing. And at $300? Good gawd!

I heard a 70wpc Rotel AV receiver absolutely humiliate a 100 wpc Sony ES. The Sony had no grip on the bass. The Rotel drove the pair of B&Ws like high current separates would, and had both greater clarity and musicality. And you don't want to move up in clarity without accompanying musicality!
Thanks! I'm feeling very lucky right now ;) I haven't even hooked the beast up yet - I'm waiting to get the Maggies. BTW I'm coming from a Monitor Audio setup, Silver 5i's (which I really like) and an ASW-210 - I'm hoping the sub will blend ok with the MMG-W's. I have always loved the sound of the planar dipole speakers (my friend has a lovely pair of ML SL-3's) but these will be the first Magnepan speakers I will have owned so far!