Comments on new B&W 800 D3

From those who have heard them.
ptss

My friend has a pair, very nice but very hard to drive to their full potential. You need big S/S amps with good current with BJT outputs (no Mosfets), IE: amps that almost keep doubling their wattage with each halving of loads 8ohms to 4ohms to 2ohms.

He has also already pulled them apart and fixed a few small phase problems they have in the xover design, which you or I wouldn’t even notice, and B&W didn’t bother with as it added many more components. But he is a measurement freak, and wanted to fix that up, and he said they sound even better now, on or off axis.

Ooops sorry his were the 800 D2

Cheers George

I auditioned them last weekend. The stage is about 1 metre in depth. This means it is still a 2 dimensional speaker. The demo was done with the most expensive Esoteric monos en pre amp. They are able to create a deep stage. All the tests with the D1 and D2 both had about 1 metre of stage depth. When audio has no parameters you can name everything highend. My personal opinion is that a holographic 3D stage is an essential part of highend. Without it always will miss an big part in emotion.