Great bookshelf or small towers suggestions

I'm looking to upgrade my main speakers for home theater/music setup.

Currently have Sound Dynamic 300 ti's that are about 16 years old. I have a Marantz 5009 AV receiver and some Orbs for side and back channels. I have a sound dynamic center speaker too. The room is 11x15 with a fairly low 7' ceiling. I want to replace the LR main and Center speakers.  Budget < $5K.

floorplan:  http://tinyurl.com/zd68dqf

Soundwise I am after improved brightness and up front treble and mids. I am not the biggest bass nut - a) I have downstairs neighbors and b) I've played drums for 40 years and have heard it all. I hate being bounced out of my seat every time stuff explodes and mainly want to hear dialog better for TV and clearer more sparkly acoustic pianos and spangalang of cymbals like they're in the room with me.

So far from what I've heard in stores, I liked the Magnepan .7's a lot. But they just won't fit the space. Too wide and didn't pass WAF. I listened to a few other speakers - mid level B&W's, Golden ear, martin logan, and so far little compared to the magnepans except maybe the BW 805D3's - which are way over my budget. I thought about looking for used 805d2's. I did like a pair of Focal 714's and could probably live with them. But this is the last pair of speakers I ever want to buy. So I keep coming back to thinking about the new 805's or something close.

I've been interested in a lot of the factory direct speakers like the Sierra Tower & 2's but it bothers me to buy speakers I can't hear first.

Any advice appreciated.

Thx!
wolfernyc
I just don't think I'm that adventurous yet. I just can't see buying something I couldn't hear first.  It is a cool idea though and I admire the DIY ethos. Although I have come close to just taking the plunge on the ascend towers.

I've been shying away from used speakers too.  I owned a pair of used Mordaunt Short speakers and blew a tweeter.  It took 6 months to get the person I bought them from to make a warranty claim for me to replace them..

I did audition a few things. I got a chance to go to Innovative Audio and heard Linn Majik 140's, and 3 different Spendor two ways.  (D1, A3, one fo the classic bookshelves)

The Linn's sounded the best but were too big.  I'd be interested in hearing the Linn bookshelf 109's but they sold their demo pair.  The Spendor towers were 2nd best - lots of bass.  I was very impressed by the two way speakers overall.  

But so far I really didn't hear anything that had the bright high end of the Magnepans or the 805D3's I recall hearing. 

I need to go back there and hear a few more speakers: PMC and hopefully the Linn 109's.  Then I need to try a few other places.

Thx

I love my Maggie 1.7s, but looking at your room diagram I'd say the layout and available space is as big an obstacle as the WAF thing. When I was shopping for speakers at the time, the dynamic speakers in that price range that best approached the sound and dispersion of the Maggies were the Focal Chorus floorstanders. Even the smaller ones threw a big, well-defined, room-filling soundstage. Sound was fast and immediate, midrange pure and transparent, bass linear and quick. Best of all they have a modest footprint and offer a matching center channel speaker. 

The best deal I know of right now are the 726 V tower and CC 700 V center channel speakers, both in wenge veneer and deeply discounted at Musicdirect. We're talking $1348 for the set of three, down from a list price of $2299, $951 off.

You might be able to find a local dealer, audition them, and negotiate a local deal.
I was at a retailer recently selling a demo pair of NEAT Motive SX3 and PMC Twenty 21 for a great prices (I bought the Twenty 23 demos he had).  He also had some used SF Guarneri Memento and Reference 3A MM DeCapo i for sale.  I'm not affiliated with them but can give you their contact information if you PM me.
The PMC twenty 23's are what he wants me to hear next as well as a large stand mounted pmc that I guess is the 22? 

I'll pm you too.

Thanks!! 
Odd - I can't figure out how to PM you.   Maybe I don't have enough posts or something?   Anyway, I'd be interested in that dealer if you wouldn't mind.   wolfereeno @ gmail.

Thx!!