What has your audiophile experience taught you about yourself?

So that is the question, "What has your audiophile experience taught you about yourself?" I would think it interesting to know what others have found in an introspective way. This is what I have found.

1. At first I believed in the hype created by over-enthusiastic new gear owners. Most often I made mistakes in buying gear other people liked rather than listening to audio components and picking the pieces I enjoyed.
2. I found more actual enjoyment in listening to my music and my equipment rather than lust after better equipment, much of which is out of my financial reach.
3. I can learn from others on audio sites like audiogon.com. Some other sites are much more geared toward advertising than exchange of ideas and/or opinions.
4. It is ok to want a Bose Wave radio. I once owned Bose 901 speakers in the 80's.
128x1282psyop
don_c55
570 posts
07-11-2016 4:31am
That 95% of all audiophiles are not rational, and unscientific fools!

I dislike judging before all the facts are in but it appears you didn't get the memo that 95% of all audio is irrational.

cheers
Don_c55
"That 95% of all audiophiles are not rational, and unscientific fools!"

Thats what you learned about yourself???
Unfortunately I have learned that I cannot tolerate inferior sound almost anywhere I go.  In other posts on the site I've mentioned how I have set up my girlfriend's house;  Marantz 2250b receiver,  Meadowlark Kestrels,  Pro-Ject TT and Marantz cd player in her living room,  Pioneer SX 1050 receiver and Usher bookshelves in the bedroom - both because she had gawdawful all-in-ones with cassette players previously.

Now I'm no fool when it comes to appreciating music in any setting.  An am/fm mono radio on the beach will do just fine,  and has for many,  many years.  I still remember hearing The Allman Brothers "Eat A Peach" on the beach through my older brother's Grundig radio and it was glorious.  

When music reaches out it ain't never the equipment...

I just bought a Geneva Model M all-in-one fm/ipod thingy for her kitchen because she has this nasty am/fm/cd/cassette player in white that has yellowed to the point of no return.  (I had this product before and it's far better than what she has.  Personally I prefer Peachtree Deepblue2 for outdoors.)  I'm not telling her about it,  I'm simply going to switch them out and wait for her reaction.  

Being in the wine business I have found that this hobby is as subjective and confounding as my livelihood.  I've had all the wines you can imagine in my tenure, and then some.  The first growths,  the cult wines,  the garage wines.  I've listened to vintners,  experts,  sommeliers,  Masters Of Wine,  the whole megillah,

Sometimes a glass of wine is just a glass of wine...and should be.  I remember how utterly mind-blowing a late 60's vintage of Beaulieu Vineyards Georges de Latour Cabernet Sauvignon tasted one night amidst a gaggle of wine freaks,  but I remember with equal fervor that bottle of Lancer's Rosè I knocked back with Mary Beth one moonlit night on the beach waaaaay back when.

Sometimes the Allman Brothers sound great out of a crappy radio on the beach,  sometimes on the gear I have in my living room.

I must confess...I actually had a Bose Wave radio in my office once,