5% THD to .000 THD SOUND

I was searching the amplifiers available and noticed quite a big difference in THD specs from model to model. Example.. One of the best amplifiers Kondo Audio Note $150k Kagura has 5% THD and by reviewers definition sounds like an amazing amplifier. Now compare $ 30k  Devialet with the lowest 0.000% THD on the planet. Both at the opposite end of design yet both sound amazing.. according to reviewers, I havn t heard either. SN/R  133 by Devialet and a lot less by Kagura. I realize an amplifiers sound can t be based by Specs alone.  If the specifications are not that important to the sound, why list them? They must be a way of determining sound, quality, and system synergy of an amplifier? A whole lot of amplifiers purchased on the net haven t been heard before and I believe the decision to purchase is made by reviewers point of view, specifications and word of mouth of other owners and buyers pocket book. By looking at specs of Devialet and NOT knowing the prices of Kagura and Devialet I would of gone with the Devialet just based on specs alone for the impression of it being a  great sounding amplifier.  Ive read other discussions on forum and cant quite get a handle on why BOTH amplifiers sound great. I thought High THD was a bad thing..
derrickengineer
geoffkait3,776 posts07-30-2016 4:58pm

I went out for a mild mannered troll and got a sucker on the line.

Well since you said it mr. kaits, is there a bit of quilt coming out from your magic clock thingy or by stating " got a sucker on the line" you know full well there's nothing magic about your magic clock ?
I would not rule out any amp based on specs. I would trust my ears. If something sounds good to me for 15 minutes, it will sound good to me for 15 hours as well.
There are those who think that with right speakers Kondo amplifiers are among the very best, especially for a particular kind of music. Ruling it out altogether would be unwise, I'd say. The biggest distortions we get are already there in the recordings, and the better your equipment the more you know it. And if you can't hear it - either your hearing is no good or you are in a state of denial.
How would you know that a manufacturer is not fudging the specs ? If an amp is not reviewed and tested you would never really know if the listed specs are accurate. 
Just sayin'
yogiboy
1,321 posts
07-31-2016 7:02am
How would you know that a manufacturer is not fudging the specs ? If an amp is not reviewed and tested you would never really know if the listed specs are accurate.
Just sayin’

good point, but I doubt they would be quite so bold, you know, what with audio magazine reviewers who do measure amplifiers for THD among other things. It probably wouldn’t be too good for business if it turned out they fudged the specs. And if the amp mfgr intends to be a viable business he needs reviews, no?  But more to the point, we (editorial we) found out almost 40 years ago that THD specs are meaningless. That was when certain amplifiers with exceptionally low THD sounded terrible and certain tube amplifiers with relatively high THD sounded sublime. So, this debate was actually concluded 40 years ago, regardless of it’s troll appeal over the years. Amps won’t sound the same in different rooms and different systems, anyway. There are too many variables.