JBL L300 - true myth?

I'd like to ask if some can write his opinion on this speakers,I had a chance to listen and recommened .
I understand they working great with powerfull tube amp...especially with Mcintosh -is that true?
it's look the components are really good Alnico drivers special tweeters,horns...but woofers made of carton?is that a problem with today standards?
Is the old fashion crossover need upgrade ?

Thanks
scubidubi
I worked in audio in 1975-6 when these and the JBL L100s were at their peak popularity. The L300s were in the "high end" room in the back, sharing space with the Dahlquist DQ-10, Ohm F, ESS AMT1b, and AMT Tower (with transmission line), driven by the customer's choice among  Accuphase, USA-made Marantz Pro, and Crown. Sources were Tandberg R2R, various turntables with a Fidelity Research MC cartridge and Supex step-up. With those other speakers in the room, the L300s didn't stand a chance; by comparison their colorations were obvious. It didn't help that they were twice the money as well. $1600 in 1975 is almost $7200 today. We sold the DQ-10s at $600/pair ($2700 today). 

About a dozen years later my wife and I used to hang out with another couple, and he was an audio and classical music enthusiast. His rig was a stack of Denon separates and a pair of the L300s in a pretty large great room. They still sounded as I remembered them, with a very narrow sweet spot and therefore an inconsistent power response with suckouts and peaks depending where you stood. Overall they presented a very artificial sound. I was always aware that I was listening to electronics and loudspeakers, unlike experiences I had back then from Dahlquist, ESS, Ohm, and ADS. 

For those here who like/love the L300s, I respect your opinions; I just have a different one. We hear and perceive things differently. I only offer my personal experience to illustrate that you'll probably either like these speakers or you won't. So I agree with the prevous poster who advised not to buy them without an audition.
So, what is this so called "west coast sound" that as referenced earlier? I still have my L40 that I bought new back in college in my second system and it sounds fine but nowhere near the higher end speakers that are out there. By comparison, my other "vintage" speaker, the ADS L520 sounds more natural, albeit with less punch.
JBL L300 is Nelson Pass’s all time favorite speakers, he says. It must be really good. I would like to hear it.
If any of you really know anything about jbl speaker’s, there is one model line under the radar that in my opinion makes the models above sound like garage audio, the JBL L7 speaker’s are incredible, sold first pair to move to so called uber expensive speaker’s, only to recently to buy another pair in mint condition with the original plith’s that go under them, these are biamping 4 way speaker’s that do true 30htz to 27khtz , placement is very difficult, I run a modified krell 700cx amplifier with dedicated lines and 30 amp single pole breaker for the amplifier, running direct a Vincent cd-s7 tube/sold state hybrid digital player modified, taralab’s omega gold speaker cable’s, omega jumper cable’s, zero gold interconnect balanced, furutech ncf gtx-rhodium outlet’s through out, taralab’s 3ft cobalt power cord with oyaida termination’s on it, room is 14 by 26 ,, very little natural room treatment, this rig sings!, I also just bought the L1 book shelf speaker’s to play with on my other systems, love em!, btw, these are the last extreme high-end dynamic, none horn speaker’s jbl has made!, this is my  avatar picture, enjoy the music 😎
JBL L300 is Nelson Pass’s all time favorite speakers, he says. It must be really good. I would like to hear it.

And yet he designed an alternate crossover for it. The murky sounds and  poor in-room power response I heard out of stock L300s probably comes from a crossover that's not well-matched to the drivers, especially how high the crossover point is for a 15" woofer. Guaranteed beaming.