Does a sub need to be on the floor?

I live on the top floor of a small apartment building.  A sub on the floor would be tough on my neighbors but no one lives above us.  Do people put subs on shelves? 

I don't listen to music all that loud.  Usually the loudest thing I listen to is TV/Entertainment.

And I'm not a huge bass head so I can't imagine ever even wanting a large sub.  Maybe a small 8" one.

I don't have new mains yet - I'm still shopping and so far and like the small bookshelf models (so far without subs) such as Sierra 2's.

Thx
wolfernyc
wolfernyc

Well designed subs are usually designed/voiced to go on the floor and to get loading from it by the manufacturers.

If raised off the floor, you may "think" it's tighter, but in fact your losing bass extension/loading.

If your worried about your neighbors, put a big a cement paving slab under the sub, they're cheap come in different sizes and you can paint them.  

Cheers George
I think there is another thread on Audiogon discussing putting subs on stands. It was a couple of months ago. If I remember correctly, some said it made the subs sound better.
Thx all!  Neatly all of the speakers I've heard at some good quality dealers have been without subs and sounded fine to me for music.   Even medium sized bookshelves with 6" and 7" woofers.

I'm just trying to decide between some towers where I def won't buy a sub, or some bookshelves, where I could if eventually I felt the need.

Ideally I want to avoid the whole sub thing and have smallish speakers.  The towers, such as the ascend towers, are just a lot more money than the sierra 2's.

FWIW, I hate the boom of explosions and stuff in movies and sports.  I just hate that crap.

Thx!

Most important question buddy what price range ? You can spend 10k in stand monitors . Whats your budget and electronics budget