Does a sub need to be on the floor?

I live on the top floor of a small apartment building.  A sub on the floor would be tough on my neighbors but no one lives above us.  Do people put subs on shelves? 

I don't listen to music all that loud.  Usually the loudest thing I listen to is TV/Entertainment.

And I'm not a huge bass head so I can't imagine ever even wanting a large sub.  Maybe a small 8" one.

I don't have new mains yet - I'm still shopping and so far and like the small bookshelf models (so far without subs) such as Sierra 2's.

Thx
wolfernyc
thx all.  but I'm betting most of you never lived under a dude with a subwoofer! I did in my last apartment and it is incredibly annoying. 

Amazing how expensive some of those subs are.

It's all Apples and  oranges op 
jl are above what your shooting for imo no offense 
.. Everyone has opinions but if your buying spkrs and are keeping for sure ! Lol your power buy spkrs suited .. If not be careful and buy the best sounding spkr you can afford . Probably a relatively sensitive spkr and buy a amp intergrated probly that will mate well . Or your pocket will be open for a long time . The 2-3 k spkr range is wide open there are some great spkrs in that range . If you go used ( my reccommended choice) your in the 4-6 k new range which is just another level. A 2-5 k monitor with a real stand will sound great if mated well . Your in floorstander money then too.. Spend a cple g used, cple g used on a sweet intergrated (or a surround amp) which in general youll pull your hair out researching a good surround amp lol . . Look at kef acoustic zen splendor go listen to some and mate it properly you will be glad you did . In your range a used sunfire hvs or rythmic is easily obtained for like 500-800 bks
good luck  
stan those are audiopoints i run all of roberts stuff myself all the way thru...thumbs up
Post removed