What has your audiophile experience taught you about yourself?

So that is the question, "What has your audiophile experience taught you about yourself?" I would think it interesting to know what others have found in an introspective way. This is what I have found.

1. At first I believed in the hype created by over-enthusiastic new gear owners. Most often I made mistakes in buying gear other people liked rather than listening to audio components and picking the pieces I enjoyed.
2. I found more actual enjoyment in listening to my music and my equipment rather than lust after better equipment, much of which is out of my financial reach.
3. I can learn from others on audio sites like audiogon.com. Some other sites are much more geared toward advertising than exchange of ideas and/or opinions.
4. It is ok to want a Bose Wave radio. I once owned Bose 901 speakers in the 80's.
128x1282psyop
lostinmusic10 posts07-07-2016 7:29am

1) That it is ok to cry when listening to a piece of music

I wept openly the first time I heard Keith Jarrett in Koln through my all tube system

I wept when I first heard Tom Waits "Small Change" album. I felt that spirit of Luis Armstrong in his tunes! 
I wish for the old days when you could drive a few miles from your home to a brick and mortar building and audition many different components in the flesh. It took 5 pairs of headphones, (all ordered somewhere online and recommended by others) before I found the 6th pair I call my ear-mates.

The HE-6's make me smile each time I put them on my head. I've realized (through the purchase of several warm items-HP's & amp) I don't like anything that leans toward the warm side of neutral UNLESS I can find something else to neutralize it. I have a warm HP amp, but it's a perfect match for the HE-6's.   

There's nothing wrong with searching for "Your sound." But once you find it, be happy and ENJOY it! Don't let other people's negativity change your satisfaction into dissatisfaction.
 mewsickbuff
     I was that guy in late 80s-90s  1-9 shift (our hours lol) .We had a brick building that was hard to find and it was a blast. we sold the ole' Stax headphones .The Discerning Ear .BaltimoreMd. (gone with the times)

#1     I learned after getting so many loaners from reps etc.The price has
          little to do with it's sound or quality  (within reason).
#2      How many times I believed what people told me and was                                
          disapointed
#3      How cool so many guys are ,and how many pompass asses there  
          are.
#4      One mans floor is anothers ceiling
#5      How much music I have been turned onto 
#6      Just when I thought I knew so much, someone knows way more.                  
          so be quiet and listen
#7     Refer to # 3
I learned life is so short.  Two of my top audio buddies have died in the last 6 months.  My close audio buddy died today.  We actually have similar audio systems.  Wow. This has taught me to enjoy my audio within reason. Have balance and remember it's always music first!