Would you go all 1 brand for electronics?

When I was younger I used to dream of stacks. Especially Tandberg. The sexy black and chrome gear was amazingly sexy, and sleek. Ahead of it’s time really in that respect. Kyocera, Studer, Sumo, Amber, Hitachi, Yamaha, Technics, were all making gear that stacked beautifully together. Of course, so was McIntosh.

Then I got to hear a demo of Conrad Johnson gear driving a Martin Logan single panel speaker. It was good, but as soon as the CJ amp got switched out for a solid state amp, it was absolutely magical. That broke the spell for me. When I got older I found myself mixing and matching more and more, as well as often wishing there wasn’t a single damn cable in the system and it all just worked. :)

I tried going all 1 brand with Parasound, but then I discovered great sounding digital amps and instead of going with many Parasounds I went with little monoblocks, and the whole stack idea was broken. They don’t make sources anyway.

So my question for all of you, especially those of you who do not have all 1 brand stacks of gear. If you had to choose, from source to amp, a single brand, what would it be? Of course your paying for it, so keep the cost in mind. :)

I think we should reasonably exclude record players, though some like McIntosh DO make them.

Best,

Erik

erik_squires
My current is all Jeff Rowland; amp, preamp, DAC, except I have the Bryston BDP2.
I would do an all Shindo sytem or an all Audio-note system
Only downside is the cost of these systems
The Shindo system with there custom Garrard turntable is about $225,000
Need to hit the lottery
Alan
I have really not heard Jeff Rowland gear in a very long time. An early digital amp I heard was very sibilant, and I never had the chance to listen to more.

There's not a lot of love here for the Brits here either, like Rega, Lynn or Cyrus. What's up with that?

Erik
mofimadness said,

"If cost no object...MBL." Fully agreed. I've heard a number of their systems and they are the electronics and sound I long for. 

I most recently heard the Corona line integrated amp, CD/DAC, and their entry level speakers (approx $30k) and it was very lovely. Fairly close to mush more expensive systems in their line up. That was compared to the Noble line amps & dac with the 101E MkII. Source was a computer playing files vs. the Corona CD player. Bass was better with the  101E MkIIs but really both systems just sing. I've also heard the Extreme system several times and other systems with their mid-line speakers. So I know what they sound like. For reference, my system consists of a McIntosh integrated, Martin Logan Vantage ESLs, Shunyata Research, & Oppo 105.

It has been over three decades since I've had a system that was totally built by one manufacturer. Mbl has definitely inspired me to think about that again. But at $30k it is a BIG stretch, really out of reach if I'm honest to myself.

Like Richard, I use Rowland Electronics for DAC (Aeris) and mono amps (M925).... I used to have also the Rowland Criterion linestage, but I have more recently simplified the system a bit and am feeding directly Aeris DAC into M925 monos... And still adoring the music I get. Rowland does not make front ends of any sorts, so at this time I am using an Esoteric X-01 as a transport.

G.