HIGH Quality Electric Service Panel

Looking for recommendations on very good quality electric panel to use for my dedicated two channel room.  Thx.
stickman451

There is the Isoclean Zero Ohm breaker panel, but I’m not sure if they make it anymore since it’s not listed in their current products (used pure copper elements and gold plating). At $5k, I don’t think it’s in your budget, since balanced power is not. I have seen some panels that have a built-in isolation transformer, but I can’t remember the brands.

Like Eric said, Siemens or SquareD. In my case, I went with SquareD because it was available locally. Use 20 amp breakers instead of 15 amp. Run as many circuits as you want. Use a single run of Romex per outlet. You can have two runs of Romex connect to one breaker (but check local code on this).

You can get cryo treated Romex here:

http://audiosensibility.com/blog/accessories/parts/wire-and-cable/#!/Cryo-Treated-Electrical-Cable/c/5828813/offset=0&sort=normal

I’ve used this vendor many times and he is excellent. Even though he’s Canada location, he ships via USPS Priority from New York to anyone in USA. Prices are in CAN (just multiply his price by .77 and you get USD - for today’s exchange rate).

I have noticed a difference in sound between the awg of the Romex. A 10 awg Romex can carry a lot of current and is great for amplifiers. However, source/preamp equipement is more sensitive to the awg and will blare somewhat (push to hard) with larger gauge romex. Amplifiers are much less sensitive to this. Using a 12awg Romex for source/dac/preamp is probably better. I actually use a double-run of 14awg Romex for my preamp outlet (essentially a 11awg run).

Of course, choose good quality outlets. I recommend Furutech FPX Cu (unplated copper) as a minimum. It’s a good neutral sound that is fairly inexpensive You can go with gold-plated if you want a warmer/softer sound or rhodium plated if you want the detail/punch/resolution.

Balanced power can be a good thing, unless the equipment manufacturer connected the neutral leg of AC to ground. With normal utility power that’s not a problem, but with balanced?
unless the equipment manufacturer connected the neutral leg of AC to ground.

For electrical safety and electrical safety standards the current carrying neutral conductor is never connected to the chassis of equipment. That has been the standard for at least the last 60 years.

Prior to around the early 1950s and earlier some, maybe many, manufactures of audio equipment did connect one line of the mains, of the 2 wire cord and non polarized plug connected equipment, to the metal chassis of the equipment. Usually the metal chassis was enclosed in a wood or plastic case/enclosure and the knobs were made of plastic or Bakelite non conductive materials. The user was protected from coming into contact with the metal chassis. Depending how the plug was plugged into the electrical wall outlet there was a 50/50 chance the chassis was HOT with respect ground.

I would say more recently than that Jea, but I may be wrong. In any case, there are too many refurbished classics floating about to give a blanket assurance. Beware the two-prong plug!
It seems most look at dedicated lines as a way to isolate noise.  MSB looks at it differently.  According to MSB, the main goal should be to lower resistance.  These are their guidelines that I followed and it has made a very nice difference for me.  This dedicated line also only cost me about $300 to implement:

http://www.msbtech.com/support/wiring.php?Page=supportHome

For those whose homes aren't near a utility transformer and line noise is indeed an issue (i.e. listening at midnight yields better results than listening at 5 pm), here are a couple of products that you install at your panel that don't cost a ton of money and could make a difference.  I don't have these products currently but I am curious about them.  Any input from people who use these would be much appreciated:

http://ep2000.com/uploads/EP-2050_SeriesSpecifications.pdf

http://ep2000.com/uploads/EP_Ground%20Filter.pdf

Agreed.  I know MSB well (I own the MSB Analog DAC, which is awesome!).  

Vince Galbo taught me the importance of the lower reistance theory  years ago and I rewired my old dedicated room with 6 AWG; it made a tremendous favorable difference.

In my new house, I am using 6 AWG for All my dedicated audio outlets (Furutech GTX-G) and each outlet will be on individual 20A circuts.  These all run to a dedicated service sub-panel in my room which is connected to the main panel by a 2 ought aluminum run.