What do audiophiles want from a cable?

What should a high quality interconnect or speaker cable do to the sound of a system? Make it more transparent? Improve the sound stage and focus? Soften unpleasant highs? Tighten the base? Bring out the mids?

To me, a good cable should reveal more of what is on the recording and more of the true nature of my components. So when trying new cables, I look for more detail and accuracy without becoming cold and clinical. This seems logical, and yet after reading reviews and trying a few of the cables in the reviews, I find that the cables that have received glowing endorsements are not especially transparent or revealing. They modify the sound, but they don’t take me where I want to go. I wonder if the reason I don’t hear what the reviewer heard is that I don’t know what to listen for. Am I too focused on cable accuracy and resolution, and not enough on actual sound quality? Or is it just a case of no two systems sounding alike so why trust a review anyway? Thanks.
mward
@geoffkait Might your electrons need testing for ADD/ADHD??  For gods' sake man organize your electrons.

Look at what's going on at the quantum level here.  Is this reality or are all of us really in the Matrix?

hifiman5
286 posts
10-29-2016 4:17pm
@geoffkait Might your electrons need testing for ADD/ADHD?? For gods’ sake man organize your electrons.

Look at what’s going on at the quantum level here. Is this reality or are all of us really in the Matrix?

Thnx for pointing that out as I forgot to mention - you know that electromagnetic wave I mentioned, the one that’s the audio signal? It’s not electrons, it’s photons. ;-)

Cheers

There used to be a top of the line for Japan only, I think, model in Purist Audio line where moving electrons were being hit by photons. Japanese swore by those cables. I am sure the science behind it is beyond me. Well, Jim of Purist is a former NASA engineer so he can have interesting ideas.