Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
Here is part of Lamm Industries ML3 Signature amplifier by Michael Fremer in 9/2013 Stereophile.

The ML3s produced the most glorious, palpable, airy, detailed midrange I’ve ever heard from reproduced music. That part is easy. They pushed that performance envelope without going all greasy and congealed over time, as some tube amps do after the initial appeal of warmth wears off.

The ML3’s standout features were its natural re-creation of instrumental attacks, generous sustain, and lifelike decay—all as close to live as I’ve heard, if nowhere near the real thing. It was quiet, fast, detailed, dynamic without reservation, transparent, airy, and extended on top. No sharp edges unless the recording had them, and no boredom-inducing global softening. The pair of them produced an enormous sense of space when that was appropriate, and, within that space, images of exceptional delicacy, three-dimensionality, and body.

It should be good for $140k/pair. This amplifier has measured -3dB bandwidth at about 50kHz - which is 15kHz less than my class D amp, that supposed to suffer from wrong harmonics summing. Please notice words "airy, and extended on top". Imaging also did not suffer.

I will try Class "D" when it get's as common as "bacon and eggs". In the meantime I will maintain my staunch prejudice against Class "D".

Did you know that the vast majority of people who hate "Black" people have never seen one up close and personal. If that can be accepted, I'm sure my stance on Class "D" amps can be accepted; in both cases there is no logical or rational reason for such a stance.

But seriously, I have already "verified" that computer sonics, and analog sonics, are impossible to tell apart, if the computer is done right; evidently it depends on the level of switching; but there are many indistinguishable differences that "audiophiles" claim to hear; such as six 9's copper; 99.9999% pure.

While there is a difference in the quality of interconnects, and it is due to the composition of the wire, the composite of silver plus copper for example, but that also has a scientific variable in ohms. When so many minute differences are carried to such great extremes, accompanied by extreme prices; without any scientific merit, I for one am quite dubious, as in the case of interconnects. I strongly suspect that almost any difference is interpreted as better; how else could you explain a 1K price for a 6 foot piece of copper wire?

Some of these differences are at a "subconscious" level; tube, and solid state for example. I think SS is best for rock, and tube best for "smooth sounds and female vocals"; but I am speaking of a tube pre and SS amp, where the difference is even smaller; when both are SS, then it's audibly obvious.

There are many dubious things on this forum, that I "strongly" suspect are no more than opinion, but "placebos" are good for one's mental health; that is, if the health of one's bank account can accommodate this feel good luxury.

I suspect I have become an "Audiophile"; it snuck upon me when I wasn't looking.  

Oh no, o!  Say it isn't so! What about the sonic influence of various dielectrics (smearing of the sound due to signal "absorption and release" time-misalignment), the winding geometry (reducing RF/EMI noise and phase shift), the use of active shielding (accomplishing the same as the first two to an even greater extent), and Graphene (improving conductivity), not to mention optimally matching capacitance and inductance to the input/output sweet spot of your equipment and speakers?

I don't know what cabling you are using, but I hope that some good ones "snuck up upon you when you weren't looking" for the sake of your excellent preamplifiers (and your ears). 

Best to you o,
Dave 

Dave, I think it done snuck up on you too.

The cable I use to make my own, was once sold by Belden in 100 ft rolls to radio and TV stations; that lets you know it's some good stuff; they both demand the highest quality at the cheapest price. Belden no longer sells that cable to the masses. I asked for some replacement cable, and if it was food, the dogs wouldn't eat it.

Fortunately, I'm working on my last major improvement, and thanks to your excellent ideas, I know it's going to be a success.