Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
I had a Bel Canto Class D amp a few years ago and it was awful. However, I heard the Channel Islands Audio Class D mono block amps a while ago at an audio show and judged them to be outstanding.  Class D amp technology has progressed and I don't doubt it will be the wave of the future for audiophiles.  

Folks - really enjoyed reading this long thread. Very much appreciate the education and the discussion!

Just bought a pair of Bel Canto Ref600m on the Gon and found this thread after doing so.

I opted to go this route while trying to upgrade my amplification - which is currently a Supernait 2 driving PMC Twenty 26s. While the sound can be quite nice at times I’m thinking I’m underpowered - the Snait 2 is only 80 watts and the speakers are not an easy load - sensitivity of 86 reported (though probably lower based on some of my reading) and can go down to under 4 ohms. I’m hoping for a more dynamic range for orchestral music which sounds a little congested/strained currently. Plus I’d just like to hear the Bel Cantos.

I landed here after finding other options (with an eye to Class A) for getting more power to be a challenge - and thus not able to pull the trigger on something. I looked quite seriously at a demo Pass labs 250 INT - but while I am sure they are really great - are HUGE and serious $$$. I’d also have to get a new rack to hold them - even more $$$ and space.

Basically, Class D appealed due to cost and size. Reviews have been solid. The pair was under 4k less than a year old. And if I don’t like them they can go back to the Gon and I will be out a small amount of $$$ to test them in house! Pretty good deal (says the recent purchaser!) The new Bel Cantos is the new chip or whatever - different technology used than all their other units - so I am hoping for good things. this is going to cost me as I skipped the monos from Wyred for Sound cyber monday special - could of had those 1000sx pair for around $2200 - hope I made the right call!

anyhow - Really glad to have found this thread!

I’ll be sure to post how they sound!

Pass labs 250 INT - but while I am sure they are really great - are HUGE and serious $$$.
In Australia the Belcanto Ref600’s are $8k around the same as the Pass 250 int.
The new BC Ref600 monoblocks use the latest NC500 Hypex modules with moded from what I was told output filters (cascaded?) by BC. They sounded very good to me with a certain Raven ribbon tweeter that presented a very flat 8ohm load in the uppermids/highs. Read my post here.
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/class-d-technology/post?postid=1372318#1372318

Cheers George

" Mid fi has a negative connotation in these parts. That’s all. One can either laugh or be insulted. Best to not use the term unless that is the message intended."

Well said, mapman.

Ralph (atmasphere) stated:

" What I'm seeing in class D is something I've not seen in audio before- amplifiers that use the same parts as a mid fi amp as in a high end amp. In fact its safe to say that class D has lifted mid fi performance to what many would have called 'high end' only a decade earlier."

Georgelofi acknowledges the benefits of class D but mentions its low cost in a manner that suggests it's not a further benefit, implying that sound quality and low cost are mutually exclusive and that we should, therefore, look down upon this technology that dares to sound so good and be so affordable at the same time.  

I'm a fan of all good class D amps and admit it's a bit annoying to hear them described as 'mid-fi'. But it is true that class D amps today are in a wide range of products that do cover a wide spectrum of sound quality: from 'mid-fi' applications such as car audio, boom boxes, home receivers and powered full-range speakers/subs (that enabled better sound for less cost than the previous amps used)  to  'high-end' applications  such as the state of the art line of modules from Hypex ,  Anaview/Abletec and Pascal modules that are used in world-class amps from Jeff Rowland, D-Sonic, Mark Levinson, Marten, Merrill Audio, Audio Research, Halcro and possibly even Atma -Sphere in the near future.
     These are just some thoughts from my perspective from the outside as a consumer looking in.  I have no amp design experience or knowledge and wish all amp companies, regardless of the amplification type employed,  continued success.

Tim