Selling speakers to a buyer in Russia?

Hi all!

I may have a buyer for my PBN speakers in Russia.  What do I need to do to make sure I'm not scammed?
diofan56
I’m from Russia, and most of my equipment I am ordering from US. Many of us - russian audiophiles, do the same. I even suppose, that russian customers are bringing a noticeable share of the profits of some US hi-end audio manufacturers. Moreover, we not less than you have afraid to meet a scam when buying something from America.
If you want to protect yourself, just follow these three tips:

1. Full prepayment.
2. Bank transfer is most reliable.
3. More expensive an safer delivery methods are preferable.

This is enough even for truly paranoid. Although, if you don’t buy used equipment, but sell it, I think, you can be confident - in this case it is difficult to meet a scam.
And don’t worry if you are asked to declare a lower price of goods in parcel than it actually is. Our customs policy is quite foolish, so we trying to avoid extra taxes when it possible.
Lot of good suggestions... but... if you decide to do it:

1.  Advise the buyer of your terms and let him decide if he wants to accept all the risk.
2.  Have him accept risk of loss from the time you deliver the package to the shipper.
3.  Allow him to select the shipper with which he is most comfortable.
4.  Make sure you identify him as the shipping party - who will settle all claims if the package is damaged - FOB Shipping Point.
5.  Make sure he understands the sale is final upon your receipt of the funded payment, and delivery to the shipper - there will be no returns or refunds.
6.  Provide him complete pictures of the speakers before you pack them, as you wrap themy and pack them, which provide him enough detail that he is confident they are in àcceptable condition, and to provide him proper evidence to support a damage claim if necessary.
7.  Mare sure you receive funded payment (cash in your bank account), before shipping.
8.  Do not use PayPal, or any service, that may charge back your account, if he were to file a claim (including Audiogon, which doesn't accept these terms, generally).
9.  Make sure all terms are well documented and that he has acknowledged acceptance.

You might also involve a third party (such as your bank) to function as a closing agent, who would hold his funds, pending your proof of delivery to the shipper, and release them to your account, upon receipt of such proof.

That's the only way to safely do the deal.  He may not accept those terms, but that's much better than the alternative.

If you're not prepared to do all that - don't do the deal.
And by the way, these procedures are those you should use for any international transaction - they are not directed, exclusively, at those with Russian citizens. They are no more, or less, honest than the average US citizen.

Many of the above comments (humorous, or otherwise) reflect undue influence of all the "fake news" (propaganda) being promoted by all our biased media.  While Russian politicians may be corrupt, they are by no means any more so than those the US has experienced for the past 8 years (no matter which party). Russian citizens are no more likely to be corrupt than US citizens.
Wow!  Thank you everyone!  Lots of good replies; lots of good information.  Sounds like a major hassle.  I have not yet heard back from the possible buyer after I contacted him/her initially.  At this point I assume the costs involved in the transaction are more than the buyer wants to spend.

Post removed