LONDON Decca, Tzar DST and similar cartridges

I have always been curious about these phono cartridges and the Stereophile review of the Tzar DST has heightened my interest. When I read about the peculiarities of these cartridges, I am put off from trying them. Can anyone offer persuasive reasons to try them and also provide real practical advice on how to make them work reliably?  Tonearm suggestions? Phono preamp suggestions? Damping recommendations? How badly do they grind out record grooves?  Any other words of advice? Thanks. 
128x128kmccarty
I've been looking into this cartridge and have been fascinated by its uniqueness and the myriad  necessary set up parameters to dial it in. I've spoken to Warren who gave me the thumbs up after a little light grilling to try a super gold. I've not pulled the trigger as loading is not something I can change with my phono set at 47k and I'm hesitant to jump until my pre allows for this. Curiously, The issue of resistance loading of my preamp did not come up with Warren only arm and set up experience. It was not something I was aware of on my part and thought to ask about at that time. 

One other question/concern I have after reading this great thread is does the lack of soundstage width that Halcro mentions twice above consistent with other users experience?
thuchan
926 posts
01-22-2017 5:34pm
Why going for a Zsar when you may enjoy the Neumann DST?

The only Neumann DST I have seen was built into an EMT headshell with the EMT diamond pin outs rather than the standard SME spare pin outs. Therefore difficult to use in anything other than an EMT TT and tonearm
You're right topoxforddoc. You may use it with old Ortofon arms too, best on an EMT R80 or 927, also in connection with a Neumann SUT (BV33).
Both, the black and the white DSTs are among the best carts I ever listened to.
"a little light grilling" from Warren! Yeah, he won't sell you a London until you pass his test. Regarding resistive loading, I believe 33k ohms is suggested for the Super Gold (the 15k figure is for the Reference), but it doesn't hurt to go down to 20-25k. The lower the impedance, the greater the suppression of the high-frequency peak. All models need about 220 pF capacitance.