Amps Atma-Sphere M-60 Mono blocks OTL design

I just purchased a used OTL Atma-Sphere M-60 mono blocks that I have sent to Atma-Sphere to be upgraded to the current model 3.3 and I also added the option of a higher quality power supply and V caps.

I have sold my old trusted Eggleston Andra 2’s speakers and have built some monitors using Aurum Cantus ribbons (102db) and Aurum Cantus midwoofers (90db) that are both rated as 8 ohm nominal. I have a DEQX Premate and will be crossing over to (2) JL Audio F-113 subs at 80hz.

Currently I am using a solid state high power stereo amp (Pass Labs) that I used with the Andra 2’s.

The Atma-Sphere M-60 is rated at 60 watts class A and is said to work better with higher impedance loads.

It will probably be a few weeks until I get the M-60 and was hoping someone could provide opinions of what to expect.

I listen to late 60 early 70’s classic rock music mostly. Sometimes loud.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

bigboltz,

Sorry, I'm waiting also. It probably will be a few more weeks before I get them. Hopefully sooner, but they are waiting for some electrolytic caps to arrive.

gdnrbob,

Thanks, I don't know about you but its hard to be patient when there are several if's that need to be explored. Such as; will it have enough power for my DIY speakers? I think so, but until I can place it in my system I can't be sure. Will I like the sound quality more than my Pass Labs equipment etc.? We'll see.

ozzy

ozzy took a look at your pics nice job on the new speakers! Congrats on your new amps also, I've only heard atma-sphere amps once, at the Capitol Audiofest this summer, and the sound was fantastic. I am sure you will be very happy and finding out your amps are more up to date than you thought is a very happy outcome in a used transaction! Hang in there and savor the anticipation!
gdnrbob

The M60s drive my Quatros with no problem.  I rarely get past 12 oclock on the volume and its more than enough.  Vandies have a rep of liking alot of power, but are a fairly easy load. 8ohms pretty much strait across. Plus, with the powered subs and hi-pass, no issues.  I thought about the volume control, but I'm already stretching my budget. What do you think of it?  

And I'm really curious about the phono stage. I'm hoping its great, I sold my Allnic 1201 to make this possible.  Tell me I wont be too disappointed!
ozzy

I heard from Ralph today ( ok, he emailed back cuz I bug him once a week) and he said he's done the initial testing and expects to have it in the system next week.  Maybe my pre and your amps will end up testing together!    Anyway, I can't say enough about the level of customer service AtmaSphere has given me.

jond,

Thanks! Believe me I'm savoring...

bigboltz,

Though I don't have the Quatros, I will be using subs and just the signal from 80hz and up will be powered by the M-60's. Do you know the crossover frequency of your subs / Quatros?

And, thanks for your update, mine is still on the work bench waiting for parts.

ozzy