Home cinema newbie questions...preamp advice

Hi,

Want to get a little 3 channel rig setup for christmas. I have Dali Euphonia MS4 speakers and a Belles 150A Hotrod power amp. I'm wondering what preamp to get...can i link my TV/LCD directly into a normal preamp or does it have to have some fancy home cinema setting or something?

Help..i am a home cinema virgin!!! :))

Richard
enjoy_the_music
hi,

Yes i was going to use the 3rd channel to power the sub. I had no intention of using a centre channel speaker :)

If i have a multi-format spinner like a modded Sony 999ES can i run it to my TV and preamp line-in? Is this how it works?

Richard
Bob Wood,

Yes, the subwoofer is powered using a 350W digital amp and the main amp for the satellites is 120W solid state.

Elevick,

Good point that, "the center channel on most 5.1 tracks is by far the most used". That is certainly true when playing the 5.1 part of the disc. However, a properly set up 2 channel system, in stereo, will reproduce the "center" information with no problem, but proper sitting position becomes more important since one must be seated more in the middle of the speakers to locate the dialog in the center of the screen.

John
John,
I do agree with you on imaging properly. I guess that 5.1 is designed for 2 reasons these days: 1-It's idiot proof to put the center channel in to avoid imaging problems. 2-To most people, movies are a group or family event. Not everyone fits in the "sweet spot"-I'm not into cuddling with "the guys" when watching a game on the 6' TV!

By the way, I was listening to a downmixed DVD-A last night on my 2 channel triode system and it sounded amazing without 5.1 sound. So, I do this sometimes too.

Emery