Times when there is too much LFE...

Master& Commander cannonball sequence, LOTR trilogy, any Pixar movie, etc. All have some spectacular LFE. My system has never had any problem handling. Though it is 70/30 HT and is based around Definitive Tech speakers, I have done my homework re crossover pts, room graphing, acoustic treatments etc. No major room modes when all was said and done. In summary, it has handled everything I've thrown at it...Until now.

I rented Iron Man the other night, and was actually watching at a lower volume due to my son being with me. Several scenes, when IronMan first appears for example, the LFE seems way too loud compared to the rest of the sound. I went and adjusted the volume on my sub and also the powered subs on my towers.. Still it seemed the lfe was way out of sync.
Walls seemed to shake, Drop ceiling vibrations, a yell from my wife, etc...The depth charger scene in UB571(forgt the name) never even did this. Any thoughts>
zigonht
Just classic Hollywood. If some is good, then more must be better.

That same attitude permeates a lot of pop & rock music these days. Not only is the bass often out of proportion, but the high compression levels suck all the dynamics and life out of recordings in an effort to simply sound "loud."

A pox on them all.
I watched Iron Man on Blu-ray just last night myself. I don't have HDMI audio decoding on my pre/pro, however, so I was just getting a Dolby Digital 5.1 EX downconvert from the TrueHD soundtrack. Although there were some serious crashes and explosions, my sub didn't bottom out as it sometimes does.

For me, the most obnoxious LFE I've heard at home are the HD broadcasts of the Star Wars movies. The Star Wars LFE stuff is not well integrated with the soundtrack at large, and the soundtrack is frequently punctuated with gratuitous LF whumps and swells, and the obvious manipulation takes me out of the movie.