Others experience re: subs and Magmepan 20

I have a pair of Magnepan 20r’s. Have enjoyed them for years. In my room they go to about 30Hz, response way down at 25Hz.

I am experimenting with a pair of Janis subs. This gets the response to about 25 Hz then down a lot at at 20Hz. It adds a little something but not I am not bowled. over. I hear and feel a bit (in my chest) on some music.

I would like to hear about others have experience with adding subs to nearly full range speakers?

Did you feel you got your money’s worth for "a few silly Hz"?

Thanks
imdoc
I am not going to spend the time reading all the posts. My impression is this; it seems the sub doesn't get you much farther down than the mains. While it may seem marginal, a sub that can do about 15-16Hz is SUBstantially, different - sorry, had to pun! - than one which can do 25Hz. BIG difference. 

I would not give up on subs without considering an alternative, as I'm sure others have suggested. 

My experience; I have the Kingsound King III ESL and love them with subs. I use the Legacy EXTREME XD Subs with them and wouldn't dream of runnning the King III for realism in listening without subs. Sure, the King III reaches similar to the 20.7, but the extra foundation is precious on genres of music. Imo. 

Disclaimer, prior to owning I reviewed both the King III and the Legacy EXTREME XD Subs for Dagogo.com 
A fun thread to read and lots of great ideas, products, technical information, and opinions.  With years of enjoyable experience with MG II's through 20's including IIIa's with Entec and 3.6 and 3.7i with Rel Stentor III's subs as well as different amp and room scenarios here are a few key points to consider in chasing the extra octave.

I respect your position on not wanting to get into the details of amplication and room dimensions, however you talk about "you think you are missing a bit of low end" on some songs.  You have to consider the reality of inefficient high resolution speakers like Magnepans and others.  Like it or not, you will hear the strengths and weaknesses of up stream equipment as well as the differences in how the music was engineered and recorded.  Sub's can easily create the feel it in your chest sensation, but as you said its not the experience you had in the symphony hall.

My point is, you have to decide on what you want - move octaves or move closer to the recording.  With Maggie's what is up stream, room acoustics and speaker placement is how you get closer to the recording.  Had lots of fun with my subwoofer experience, mostly the MG 3.6 with the Rel Stentor III, in an 18x25 room with carpeted cement floor with a few carefully placed room acoustical panels with the speakers 50" out from the back wall.  Driven by CJ Art III and Levinson ML333 there was a big, dynamic and felt it sense to the recorded music especially well engineered and recorded music.  It was different with 3.7i mostly due to the improvements in the 3.7i causing much tuning with the Rel's.  Not a negative about the 3.7i's more the realization I was playing with an unnatural configuration.  At least in my mind.

The change I made and would encourage you to think about is.  Instead of chasing the extra octave, think about upgrading to the MG 20.7's and as JPMEURER2 stated - bring ample dynamic power over a sub system investment.  I swapped out my ML333 for the Sanders Magtech mono's.  

The sound is and feels more natural, especially with well engineered and recorded music. Don't forget not all recording are created equal and seriously play with speaker placement given available real estate over more equipment in the room.  I sense many Magnepan owners do not move the speakers far enough from the back wall. 

All the best.
randy 11,

You stated:" I’d bet some DSP testing and room treatments would be much more rewarding, tho maybe an amp that really put out a lot of current into 4 ohms(?? dunno what you have now)"

I think your reply was directed at me but I'm not sure.  In case I'm correct, I wanted to respond:

I use a pair of D-Sonic M3-600-M class D mono-block amps on my older Magnepan 2.7qr speakers; 1,000 watts into 4 ohms and 24 amp peak output current each.  They drive the speakers very well.

I think DSP room analysis/correction would be interesting just to confirm my in-room bass frequency response and bass dispersion is as good as I think it is based on my subjective opinion.

I'm certain my room has no need for bass room treatments such as bass traps or other dampening panels for either the bass system or the Magnepans but would like to experiment with diffusing panels behind and between 2.7qrs.

Thanks,
  Tim
you might be surprised about the bass....

whether it is worth changing the look of the room is another issue
Hi randy 11,

I try to keep an open mid about system changes and improvements.
    But I'm not certain what you mean by your last post comments.

Could you please elaborate and provide more specifics?

Thanks,
  Tim