I need a good Preamp

My current system:
Preamp:           MAC C2300
Amps:              Krell FPB 350mcx mono blocks
Speakers:        B+W 801 Series II

My MAC C2300 just quit working and really I need it in another room to pair with a MAC MC452 once it gets repaired. So, I need suggestions on what will mate up well with my Krells? I would like to spend $8k or less but I would consider going higher. I am thinking a line stage even though I did use the phono on the MAC some. I plan to add a phono amp to my system later. I just play cds with this system. Reading on this forum I sort of lean towards a used ARC 5SE or maybe a Cary SLP05 but I am open to suggestions. There are no audio shops close to me so I will be buying without getting to demo anything. I'm not too knowledgeable on stereo gear so I need some help. Thanks for the responses.
wemfan
Wefman,

You first have to realize that spending more money on anything audio will not give you, "your better sound." You can spend a ton of money on two different automobiles sight-unseen, for example, and while both would demand quality and performance doesn't mean that they are both equal. You can end up with a Rolls Royce or maybe a Lamborghini, so did you get the drive that's right for you?

Combining apples and oranges may not be completely satisfying, like dropping the Rolls Royce engine into the Lamborghini.

l second mechans question to you, about what kind of sound you're hoping to achieve? If you're not sure, spend a couple of days at an Audio show. These, pop up all over the country.

IMO - Don't spend thousands of dollars until you have figured out what you like to drive.
Kenny
I don't know how it pairs with Krell or your personal taste, but I like the SLP05.  Sounds great to me paired with several SS amps and with Cary tubes, of course.  Even paired it up with an Emotiva XPA-200 for a couple days for fun (surprisingly good).

Lots of flexibility with the six 6sn7s, if you run balanced.
joinid, The PS Audio BHK does look like a worthy contender. I am looking into it. Thanks

knghifi, I appreciate your informative comments on the Krell amps. There is a 600 on here for sale right now but at 180 pounds but I am probably going to leave it alone. It is very tempting though. I love my 350s!

ejr1953, Thanks for comparing the C50 with the c2500. I was wondering how the ss mac pres stacked up against their tube stuff but I am going use the C2300 with the MC452. I am looking for something different to use with the Krells.

Kenny, good advice. I appreciate it.

stfoth, I don't know that I have any personal taste. I am not an audiophile but only a lowly musician who likes things that sound good. I don't trade or sell gear and only acquire something every so often. I have needed another preamp for a long time and since my c2300 went down I need one soon. I have read a lot of good things about the Cary. How do they differ in sound to Audio Research for instance?

Here is my situation.

MC452  This amp is in the living room and is a good match for the c2300 so I am going to install it there when I get it fixed.

I have a studio next to the house where I do most of my listening. I have two stereos set up there.
MAC mc275VI through Klipschorn speakers
Krell FPB 350mcx through B&W 801 Matrix series II

I have been using the c2300 with both set-ups depending on mood and I would like to acquire a preamp to replace it that I can continue to do that with. I know the stereos are vastly different but I enjoy them both and use them differently. The MAC is all about acoustic music played at a low volume and the Krells are about more band type stuff that I play at a much higher volume.