I need a good Preamp

My current system:
Preamp:           MAC C2300
Amps:              Krell FPB 350mcx mono blocks
Speakers:        B+W 801 Series II

My MAC C2300 just quit working and really I need it in another room to pair with a MAC MC452 once it gets repaired. So, I need suggestions on what will mate up well with my Krells? I would like to spend $8k or less but I would consider going higher. I am thinking a line stage even though I did use the phono on the MAC some. I plan to add a phono amp to my system later. I just play cds with this system. Reading on this forum I sort of lean towards a used ARC 5SE or maybe a Cary SLP05 but I am open to suggestions. There are no audio shops close to me so I will be buying without getting to demo anything. I'm not too knowledgeable on stereo gear so I need some help. Thanks for the responses.
wemfan
Here is my situation.

MC452  This amp is in the living room and is a good match for the c2300 so I am going to install it there when I get it fixed.

I have a studio next to the house where I do most of my listening. I have two stereos set up there.
MAC mc275VI through Klipschorn speakers
Krell FPB 350mcx through B&W 801 Matrix series II

I have been using the c2300 with both set-ups depending on mood and I would like to acquire a preamp to replace it that I can continue to do that with. I know the stereos are vastly different but I enjoy them both and use them differently. The MAC is all about acoustic music played at a low volume and the Krells are about more band type stuff that I play at a much higher volume. 

Wemfan,

Similar, here.  I'm a relatively recent convert to tubes (although had tubes for awhile in guitar amps, but in no way consider myself a musician--more of an awful noise-maker with no time to make it better), like to listen to music, and don't really have a developed audiophile vocabulary.  Tweaking and tube-rolling is a bonus.  I really only sell stuff when there is an "upgrade" and can actually bring myself to let something old go.

So, really, just from a regular dude.

Anyway, I haven't heard the ARC and the Cary side-by-side in the same setup.  I heard the ARC awhile ago (can't remember where), before I had the Cary.  My impression was "wow."  Articulate, fast, meaty, and bold--from vague memory.  Of course, that would be colored by different associated gear.

Inasmuch as a comparison could be made given the different setups and time, I'd say the Cary is slower, warmer, more musical and "emotional."  So, more to my taste, nowadays.  Should it matter, it's also quite a bit less expensive, especially used.

I guess, for me, it was ARC="wow."  Cary=hair standing up on my arms and a few bucks in my pocket.

Just $.02, and probably overpriced, at that.

Good luck

Check out the Atma-sphere MP-1 or MP-3 preamps. Low output impedance, balanced and designed by an engineer/musician with the goal to reproduce music faithfully.
stfoth, I appreciate the good post. It is helpful. Not really being an audiophile I only upgrade my stuff every so often and it is really time for a new preamp. I could use some speakers as well but one thing at a time. I am reading a lot on the forums and educating myself and everything I have heard about Cary has been very good. I have had some good preamp suggestions so I am reading up on them. I will be doing something soon as I have had to fire up the old Marantz 4400 and the Cornwalls. A bit of a step down....

lowrider57, I am not very familiar with atmaspheres. Do you have some or have experience with them?
http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/

Top of the line products, just read the reviews and search the archives for user comments.
AtmaSphere gear comes up for sale in the Classifieds and at US Audio Mart.