Best way to set gain

My new system consist of Accuphase; A-70 x2, C-2850, DP-720, DG-58, with ASLC-15 x4, and AHDL-15 x2 front end. With Martin Logan; Renaissance ESL 15A, Sony; HAP-Z1ES and Torus RM 75Bal. My question to members is what is the best way to set the gains on the amp and preamp. Which is to say should one set one high the other low such that at mid volume setting is at the level I would normally listen to. Or should one just choose settings that do not over drive the amp when at max volume. In which case should one just select gain settings the same on both units that will not overdrive amp. Opinions welcome.  
rascerman
Thank you for your response. I would have thought that setting the volume at noon or middle would be ideal. Being that my equipment is new and the type of volume control should I consider that the pre-amp's individual amps would take much longer to break-in if you will. Meaning should I perhaps run the volume control higher and gains even lower for the short term and dial it down as it breaks in. Would this not allow the circuits to be more fully utilized( AAVA). Which is to say yes to both units at the lowest gain and use more volume for break-in or am I missing something, just as long as I don't over drive it as a whole. For that matter should one crank it leave the room an listen next door at the neighbors to help get things cooking or is it better to gently break your equipment in. Your thoughts welcome.   
IMO, A preamp will always sound better when used at the upper range ( past 12 o'clock) on the volume control.
Yes would have thought more swing if you will, less constrained, more dynamic. Your thoughts on best way to break-in new system. Loud and hard or slow and easy. Still liked what tecknik had to say and I thank you yogiboy for your post.
Thanks yogiboy guess the neighbors will be seeing and hearing less of me, how sad for them, and they will be hearing more of their Harmon & Cardboard LOL.