Best Tubed Preamp For A Warm, Rich Sound, Yet Still Detailed and Agile

As the title says, I am looking for an exceptional preamp (obviously tubed) with warmth and liquidity, some of that golden glow, in the midrange and highs. I do not want slowness, or lack of detail, however. My budget is up to $6,000.00, for a used model. 

Based on my research, many of those that might make the list are very rare to find, and other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

nightfall
P.S. to my previous post, re the Herron preamp. Karl Lozier’s review of an earlier version of the VTSP-3A states as follows, as quoted at the Herron website:
The fact that it has a tad ... more bass fullness, richness and power in the mid to upper bass is only a part of overall experience and does tend to reveal its vacuum tube heritage. The audibly extended high frequency response has its own attraction at the same time being silky smooth and sweet while revealing even more inner detail. That is a really tough balancing act for an audio designer to successfully accomplish.
Sounds very consistent with the sonic traits you indicated you are looking for.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al

almarg, thanks for including that quote on the Herron. I've obviously heard of them but do not know a great deal about the company other than hearing many positives, in general. By that description, it certainly does sound like something I need to look into. I couldn't afford it brand new though, I probably shouldn't truly go above $5500.00. Hopefully these appear used from time to time.
Just came across this in a Stereophile review of a VTL preamp I thought worth looking into, and it also has me very interested based on the description of the sound. Again, though I would, have to wait for a used unit to appear, in the interest of finances. And not sure how often these surface. 

"

The VTL's midrange—voluptuously rich, detailed, and liquid—made it a natural match for well-recorded voices. My favorite Beatles recording of solo voice, musically and sonically, is John Lennon's soulful rendition of Arthur Alexander's "Anna (Go to Him)," from Please Please Me (CD, Parlophone). The TL-5.5 II brought out every low-level dynamic nuance in Lennon's vocal style; even his raspy upper register was bathed in a golden glow.

The VTL's midrange, however, was revealing and uncolored enough to differentiate among the sound qualities of various recordings."

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/vtl-tl-55-series-ii-signature-line-preamplifier#rjmRYVEXzjebYRpv....