General Initial Impressions--Genalex Gold Lion KT88 Reissue

I've been on a tear of tube rolling with no end other than to try things out and see how I like them.  

I am trying out the Genalex Gold Lion KT88 reissues--8 of them--in a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated.  I mated them with 4 Cifte 12AU7s and 2 Baldwin (likely early 60s) 12AU7s.  

I made the mistake of not changing my selector switch from EL34 to KT88 during the first 20 hours of listening to the Gold Lion KT88s.  Regardless, I thought they sounded pretty great out of the box with the EL34 setting.  

It's still early in the process so I'm not 100% certain of everything. My initial impression is that these offer the sweetness of EL34 midrange while extending most of the sound spectrum.  There's a good bit of air on the top and mid to upper level detail is superb.  Compared to the EL34 reissues, I think the bass is a touch softer yet more defined--yet this is early and I need to compare with recordings that are tattooed on my aural memory before making final conclusions. 

Overall, I'd say this reissue is a damn fine tube.  I'm not finding any noticeable shortcomings or faults.  Everything is musical and enjoyable.  Smooth is the order of the day with this tube, yet it's not sleepy or droopy. It's a nice mix, in my mind's eye, of vintage and modern.  I really like them.  

I bought a matched octet from Upscale, but I didn't have these cryoed like most others I've bought. 

I'm super curious to hear about other users' experiences. 
128x128jbhiller
I agree the GL KT88s needed at least 100 to 150 hours to sound their best in my VAC amp.  I actually removed them around 60 hours thinking they might have been a poor choice at the time.  Listened to my KT88SC tubes for a while and then retried the GLs. I was over 100 hours when they really separated themselves from my previous choice.  I now really enjoy their presentation in my system.

The GL KT88 have some nice qualities immediately but need time to burn in.  I have only about 30 hours on mine but noticed they are punchy and have a nice sense of air about them. Mids are smooth but overall the presentation seems just a tad edgy if that makes sense. Been using some KT150s and have some Preferred Series KT88 on the way so really trying to get used to the KT series of tubes before they arrive. Since I listen to mainly dynamic music I feel the KT series provides better punch, slam and dynamics than the EL34.

JB I know exactly what you mean about instruments in space and right now I feel the GL KT88 is lacking that right now plus the fact the EL34 does draw you into the music more but lacks bass punch or lots of bass in general. I guess we have to keep putting hours on the GL until they are broken in and once they are I'm pretty sure we will know.

@samzx12 , yes, I agree with what you said, especially about the presentation being a touch edgy.  I think this is true because with the EL34s I could run more preamp tubes with them that provide a bigger top end--i.e. Ciftes, RCAs, etc.  To tolerate some of the top end edginess, I had to get more creative with my 6 preamp tube selection.

Now I suppose I can assess my hypothesis that the GL KT88s require a good break in period if find that I can introduce the Ciftes and brighter tubes back in--especially more than 2 out of the 6 preamp slots.  I'm not sure that would mean I've actually proved something yet I do think it would make it more likely that break in is playing a real role. 

Yes I totally agree about running different preamp tubes other than a brighter or more energetic tube such as Cifte's, Amperex 7316, etc.  I noticed last night especially I will have to revert back to either the stock PL 12AU7 in the front slots or try something more subtle.
I am in the minority here, I don't think GL KT88 is all that different from other New sensor ones like EH KT88.  Maybe a bit more polite and prettier but that's it.  So, the EH were a much better value for me.