Power Conditioner deleterious to digital sources?

I bought a power conditioner (meant for for the manufacture of chips, where stable voltage and absence of AC hash, and DC leakage from the mains is mandatory). I tried plugging in both pre-amplifier and CDP into it, and it was awful: the sound took on a compressed, walkman-like, sound. Soundstage was all gone, replaced by a muffled signature. I removed the pre-amp from it, and much of the magic is back.

My question is: do power conditioners generally help digital sources?
Maybe I need to ProGold5 the contacts or something.

Thank you...

benny
atzen811
My findings, and a group of others, is a good power cord with no conditioning. Symtoms you described is common with line conditioners.
Check with the respective manufactures. For example, Bryston says not to use power conditioners with their amps.
Sometimes I think power conditioners are like cables. They can make a difference but it's not always good. Often they are used to pad profits without concern for system synergy. A Tweeter store will try to sell you one with any gear you buy.
A well designed amp will never sound right with any conditioner’s. Front end is different. Stick with the professionals like Furman who been in it for years and made it fame in recording studio’s. I use a Reference 20i. Only one I’ve kept. I like the Harmonic Technology Magic
Power cords a great deal also.