Thinking of replacing my Bat spaceheater with class D, real world thoughts please

Ok so I know there are already lots of threads on class D both negative and positive

As I have had a very positive result with replacing the ss amps in my ht rig with a single tiny Nuforce class D amp I was tempted to look into the same for my stereo rig.

This is a little more difficult as my present amp is a BAT VK600SE, 120LB of muscle and heat.

Now I am in love with my present sound but still am very curious if class D could do anything for me as it certainly did in the ht rig although those ss amps were not in the BAT league to start with.

So I would like to hear from people who have actually gone this route, replaced their expensive, heavy, power consuming amps with tiny little cold running boxes and what their results were.

Was it uplifting, about the same or make you wish you had never heard of class D!

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xuberwaltz
This an an excellent thread with lots of contrasting views.  I have recently auditioned the NuPrime ST-10 and the Red Dragon S-500 class D stereo amps.  I thought they both sounded excellent, no question, and they run very cool.  After about 60 hours on both of the amps, I swapped my McCormack DNA .05 Deluxe class A/B amp into my system and I was amazed that someone was again present in the music that was not there with the class D amps.  Maybe it was just the distortion, no idea, but the McCormack amp seems so much more engaging to my ears.  

To wit, I took the $1.8K Red Dragon over to my audio-fool friend's system to swap for his $10K ARC Reference 75 SE tube amp and he actually prefers the Red Dragon to his this ARC amp!  He has listened to it for a week and still loves it.  So, the thing of it is that you would be well advised to demo some of these class D amps to see if they are to your liking. If you go the class D route, you no longer with have a "room heater" and can forget about the hassle and cost of replacing tubes, which is a huge plus.  There is a lot of like about class D amps, but to my ears, they leave out something in the musical experience.  
The only class D which is close to tubes is the Devialet and it still has problems in the treble region.
Yeah, properly designed class d doesn't have the distortion spectrum of tube amps.

Yeah, properly designed class d doesn't have the distortion spectrum of tube amps.
Correct, but class-d's can have other problems that are not so easy on the ear, at least the distortions from tube amps are nice sounding ones "2hd", and easily liveable. 

Cheers George
For now there will not be any class d being tried in my system , not made of money and the Wilsons took all my spare "hifi play money"...lol
The brief trial of my nuforce in my stereo rig did not go well although I am sure there are really good class d amps out there at a price.

I have never tried tube power amps so have no basis for comparison there, did have a couple of tube pre amps but always been ss power amps

And right now the marriage of mcintosh pre, bat power and wilson speakers gives me goose bumps with the right source material!