Speakers to hang on to for LIFE

After 9 years with my Proac Response 3s, I recently decided to change speakers. As you can tell, I'm not an upgrade fever patient. I want something I can live with for years & I think the best advice I'm gonna get will be from those who have & are still living with their speakers for an extended period of time. Please tell me why too. Thanks.Bob.
ryllau
I traded a pair of klipsch heresy's to a young kid who had a pair of ohm walsh 2-he wanted the loudness of the klipsch and I have always wanted to check out the ohm.I use the ohm's in a second system-powered with a 35 year old acoustic research amp and a very old onyko cd player,basic cables-basic speaker connects--in the small room they are in they are INCREDIBLE sounding-I am wondering if they have had the ohm upgrade-I will have these forever.
Rbaker, welcome to the sound of ohm speakers. When I read your thread, I felt I had to respond. I too, just discovered the unique character of Ohm speakers. I feel they give you a sensation of being "bathed in sound". I worked for Acoustic Research in the 70's, and used their speakers, as well as listened to all the speakers that passed through their sound room (we got loaners from everyone). I got a pair of the Micro Talls last September and have never been this happy with a pair of speakers, but they continue to delight and amaze me. I just got to the end of my 120 day trial, and there's no way they're getting these back unless I upgrade. I suggest that you contact John Strobeen at ohmspeakers.com (718) 422-1111 and talk to him . He personaly answers the phones on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and will advise you on upgrades, ect. I'm so glad I took the chance and auditioned these speakers. I've listened to many speakers over the years, and the micro talls are bringing out details that I never heard in familiar recordings that I've listened to hundreds of times. It took me a while of moving them around until the sound "bloomed" from the speakers, and the soundstage obliterated the walls, but it was worth the effort. I still can't wipe the smile from my face every time I listen to them. Good luck with your ohm 2's and your AR amp. Sounds like a killer combination. Joe
i own a few pair of speakers totem winds , tetras , aurum cantus , plus infinity 2000A's i put new caps in the infinty crossover plus 2 new woofers , and removed lampcord power cord and installed iec plug and wow took these to another level
Jaybo, although I sold the Allison:One/Allison:Three pairing I inherited from my father (which I'd helped him choose as a teenager back in '77, winning out over K-horns by a nose for sound and a mile for livability), as well as previously selling my own less minty used pair of Ones (plus two pairs of CD8's), I think you're right however and would've kept them if I was into collecting vintage speakers and had the space. Although the Ones/Threes can't compete in many of the expected ways compared with today's speakers, I still never hear any designs that can charge a whole room with panoramic energy practically even before the needle drops the way that these did, so effective were their room-loading and driver-disperion concepts. I would've liked to have heard the resurrected reinterpretation of the One from a few years ago before they went extinct again -- the cabinets and crossovers must've been vastly improved -- but to my knowledge those didn't carry over drivers with the same unique diaphragm designs of the originals.
I don't know about hanging on to my current Mordaunt-Short Performance 6's for life, but I do regard their physical form factor as being among the best ever -- a unique modern classic that won't seem dated-looking way beyond what the vast majority of designs manage: a virtual Eames chair of 'box' speakers, a pair of Oakleys among Foster-Grants. (Though I appreciate a fine wood finish as much as the next guy, when these metallic-painted, extruded-foam beauties first came into my listening room, their wholistic, curvy elegance instantly made my beloved Thiels look faintly ridiculous, like clumsy dinosaurish contraptions a few millenia past their extinction date. Just make sure you leave the rudimentary grilles in the cartons. And after a very lengthy break-in and a couple small tweaks, the sound quite nearly lives up to their stunning looks and technology -- which, thanks to Chinese manufacture, already far exceeds their price in typical high-end terms.)