Upgrading HT Receiver and Speakers

Hi All, I’ve been looking into upgrading my current home theatre system, and have spoken with some retailers around the area I live, and would like to ask some questions of actual owners if that’s okay?

I live in Western Canada, my bonus room is fairly enclosed at 16ft long (including 2ft depth shelving), 12 feet wide, and a 9ft ceiling.

My primary use is movies (around 90%), but will increase music listening with a decent system!

I am limited to a 5.1 bookshelf system due to pre-wired built in home entertainment center, rear speakers are in the corners, so no dipoles.

Retailer options in my area and product suggestions, prices between retailers have come in around +-$500 from each other:

Retailer 1
Rotel 1057 Receiver, B&W CM1's and CMC center, REL subwoofer, (or B&W 602S3's with matching center)

Retailer 2
Arcam AVR-300,Totem Rainmakers, matching center, and DefTech Supercube 2 Sub, (or def tech bookshelves?)

Retailer 3
Arcam AVR-300, Quad 12L front, Quad 11L rear, matching center, HSU VTF2 Sub

Retailer 4
Sherwood Newcastle R865, Paradigm Studio 20's front and rear, CC570 center, and PW2100 sub

Now the questions and opinions that I’d be grateful to hear answers for:
1) Which combination provides the highest level of detail without being bright/forward if you’ve listened to the above?

2) Cost vs quality benefit: are you paying more for B&W & Quad vs Paradigm due to country of manufacturer, and therefore would the similar price of the paradigms be indicative of better build quality and sound over the aforementioned 2? The same goes for the receivers, but I have been reading great things about the Arcam.

3) Has anyone compared the B&W CM1's to the 602S3's?

4) Why are bookshelves better on stands vs an actual shelf? Are there any recommendations to remedy this since I'm stuck with shelves?

5) I think we pay a little more in Canada due to lower volume sales than the USA, but how do the prices sound of the above combos compare?

I’m thinking it would be good to stick with one retailer as all have been very helpful when I’ve spoken to them, but they all (understandably) have their personal biases on the equipment they are selling. I will be calling them to set up demo’s to have a listen, but the better prepared I am with information, the better I’ll feel.

Thank you all so much from a former forum lurker……
britcanuck
You're spending too much on the receivers in 2 & 3, you don't need the 300 and its bad advice not to buy seperates at that price point.

Drop down the Arcam line to the lower receivers and move up to Totem Model 1's. This combo will outperform any of the above suggestions by a serious noticeable margin. And will give you a stellar music system simultaneously.

This combo will serve you better, and clearly put the Totem system out where none of the other manufacturers can touch them.

Retailers 1-3-4 are very underwhelming ordinary systems. Sherwood and Paradigm is a headahce in the making so is Rotel and B&W. The Paradigms would work well with the Arcams should you want to shift you budget down considerably.

Only 2 has potential to be great with the above advice.

Get the HSU Subwoofer from retailer 3, its the best sub on the list. Hope that helped.
Thanks for all of your responses. Sounds like the Arcam is the way to go, even a lower model such as the 250? The Rel sub was also almost twice the price of the HSU.

Totem's Model 1's are quite expensive I think (and worth every penny probably), but I'm still concerned that I'm going to pay a lot of money for speakers that will lose their sound quality once I put them on my shelves. Would the Arcam be able to drive these speakers properly?

The basement development is still going to be a few years out, so I'll be using the bonus room entertainment center for some time yet.

The big box store that carries Totem let me borrow the Dreamcatchers this weekend to listen to on my current system. I used my sub and didn't bring the dreamcatcher sub home. There was a sound improvement, but not dramatic over my current speakers. This told me that I would have to definately upgrade my current receiver as well. When I took them back, I asked him to hook the speakers up to their system which is an Onkyo (don't remember model) and again, there was an improvement (or seemed to) over my system at home. The other location had the Dreamcatchers and Energy speakers hooked up to a Denon and I seem to remember more detail coming from the Denon.
Well Brit,

You should get a sealed speaker, Blue Sky and ATC make affordable speakers that I know work well.

Blue Sky has the amplification built in so you could get an Arcam AVP-700 to run them. But you prewire is an issue as you would need to run interconnect wire, not speaker wire.

ATC has sealed systems that also work well, new models coming out soon too.
Go with retailer 2: Arcam AVR-300,Totem Rainmakers, matching center, and DefTech Supercube 2 Sub.
Make it easy on yourself. Don't overthink it. You like the Totems.

So go Option 2.

I love my AVR300. I use it with Nola Minis (terrific speakers) and a Nola Thunderbolt sub. No regrets at all. (My main 2 channel stereo system is upwards of $16k, so I'm farily picky about sound.)

I don't think the Arcam is overkill for you - there's no point in putting a cheap receiver with high end speakers - you just get the result you heard with your in-home audition. Garbage in garbage out.

The only change I'd consider would be an REL sub. RELs and Nola TB are my two fave affordable sub lines for music & movies.

Other than that - it's a bitchin' system - enjoy!