Speakers to hang on to for LIFE

After 9 years with my Proac Response 3s, I recently decided to change speakers. As you can tell, I'm not an upgrade fever patient. I want something I can live with for years & I think the best advice I'm gonna get will be from those who have & are still living with their speakers for an extended period of time. Please tell me why too. Thanks.Bob.
ryllau
Being in my fifth year as an audiophile and having owned 29 different speakers, I think a speaker that one would stick with for life is very unlikely. I will be getting my latest, BMC Arcadias shortly and will expect to spend many months optimizing them. I expect better bass extension and top to bottom linearity with these. I guess at some point any speaker becomes a keeper for the rest of your life.
I have had Quad esl 57's from my student days (1976). I loved them even with their shortcomings. Three years ago I decided that they were unlikely to last me the rest of my life, so I upgraded to the 2805 (I cannot accommodate the 2905): same thing, but clearly better. And still used with the original (but refurbished) Quad 33-303 amplifyer from 1970. I hope they will last me the rest of a long life with fine music. Recently I augmented the 2805's with a nice B&W PV1d sub, that I am still tinkering with to get the best sound (nearly there).
About twenty years ago I also bought a second set of speakers for use in my study, or on my sometimes extended stays abroad: a set of Rogers LS3/5a. They have more limitations, but they are superbly musical for what they have to do as desktop speakers. I hope these will last, but if not, I will get a set of small Harbeth's.
WillemJ- I have had my pair of ESLs since 1974, but they need to be restored. I will continue to use them, and will probably add a second pair to do a stacked array. I still have my Decca ribbon tweeters, which also need to be restored. And a pair of Crosby Quads, which do more and are easier to live with than the original ESL, but there is something just uncanny about the midrange of the original. Also have a vintage pair of Quad II amps which I will deploy at some point. The Quad is special, despite all of its obvious limitations.
Von Schweikert VR5 HSE's. After more than 40 years of this hobby (or mania, as they case may be), these are the most "liveable" speakers I have encountered. They do nothing wrong; nothing is missing or deficient; they are always consistent; and they look great too.

Neal
I've found a pair of speakers to hang on to for life. Daber Audio Monitor 2's. Where shall I begin,,,

The word AMAZING comes to mind. I had been warming them up for a couple of days, just pushing low volume current through them 24/7,getting them a little broken in and getting my new Rega stuff all good and warm (Rega Brio R and Rega Apollo R)

First cut: Adele's "Rolling in the the Deep". Soundstage was first thing i noticed, how the background vox were layered behind her lead Incredible!!!

Then the bass presence: obviously not thunderous but on that particular cut the depth and resonance is there while still being ultra-tight; palpable and fantastic. Hard to believe that kind of bass can come out of a monitor so small!

I've now changed to a small EL34 tube amp and they are even better. Amazing little speaker, and I see myself having them for life.

I believe this speaker is a world beater. They're obviously not for rockers, but they are precise, realistic beyond words, and incredibly articulate. I know of no speaker under $1k that can touch the Monitor 2, and very few under $2k. WOW WOW WOW!!!!"