Dual Subwoofer Question

Is it OK for me to have 2 subs that are not matching in a music/HT system? i.e. have a 10" & 12" of different make together or should I have identical subs?
bonger
I don't see any reason why you "must have" identical subs...should work fine as long as you have independent control over each sub.

Dave
Several technical issues could arise
Can they both x-over at same frequency?
Do they both have full adjustability on phase?
Do they both have same x-over slope?

Assumming answers to all of above are yes, then IMO, its possible, but unlikely that it would be successful. First of all, I assume you would be using one for each channel, which would make balancing the system very difficult. If each sub has different room modes (likely if different sizes), you could end up with double the number of peaks. OTOH, in the unlikely possibility that they have opposite modes, you could eliminate peaks. HIghly to extremely unlikely, but possible. Audition before you buy, for sure. The only scenario where I could conceive that it has a reasonable chance of being successful is if you used the smaller sub to supplment the L&R and the larger for the LFE channel. You would probably need to set your processor for large L&Rs, and take a high level signal from the speaker outs of your amp, and then high pass that to the L&Rs.
Thanks for the replies guys, you are guys are so smart.

Ok, my listening is 80% music, 20% HT. I prefer tight musical fast bass as opposed to deep & slow.

My 1st sub and 2nd potential sub will both have Xover frequency, phase adjust and of course volume controls.

Also, my 1st sub has both RCA L and/or R outputs to feed signal to 2nd sub.

Give me a few more opinions for and against this 2nd sub, cause I'm itching to buy it off Ebay for a great deal
I have 2 subs, one on either side of my couch, set off a couple of feet out. Hidden under plants, they are also mostly invisible. One is an Adire Rava- which is a front firing 12" sealed sub and the other is a Hsu VTF-2- with a 10"downward facing driver. They are both quality subs and play without problems together. They are both dialed about halfway up in volume and the crossovers are also set the same. The sound is room filling, tight and they can't be localized. During movies they tranfer vibrations and slam to the couch which always brings suprise and joy to friends and family. Use quality subs, find the right place for them and you will be fine, as long as your room is not difficult.
I have a system very much like Swampwalker described. I use a pair of 10's (RBH 1010SE) driven off my L/R channels - and an SVS dual 12" behemoth (PB12 Plus/2) for HT. I love it.

When I'm in 2-channel mode the SVS is silent and I get the extremely tight bass which I wanted - yet I also get gut wrenching bass when it's needed. Best of both worlds IMO.