Dual Subwoofer Question

Is it OK for me to have 2 subs that are not matching in a music/HT system? i.e. have a 10" & 12" of different make together or should I have identical subs?
bonger
I have 2 subs, one on either side of my couch, set off a couple of feet out. Hidden under plants, they are also mostly invisible. One is an Adire Rava- which is a front firing 12" sealed sub and the other is a Hsu VTF-2- with a 10"downward facing driver. They are both quality subs and play without problems together. They are both dialed about halfway up in volume and the crossovers are also set the same. The sound is room filling, tight and they can't be localized. During movies they tranfer vibrations and slam to the couch which always brings suprise and joy to friends and family. Use quality subs, find the right place for them and you will be fine, as long as your room is not difficult.
I have a system very much like Swampwalker described. I use a pair of 10's (RBH 1010SE) driven off my L/R channels - and an SVS dual 12" behemoth (PB12 Plus/2) for HT. I love it.

When I'm in 2-channel mode the SVS is silent and I get the extremely tight bass which I wanted - yet I also get gut wrenching bass when it's needed. Best of both worlds IMO.
2 subs will give more bass and "potentially" better bass. The most important thing is how you manage them. A lot of things come into play: placement,settings etc. Even when I set up one sub I use "tools" to maximize results. Someone mentioned the need for the same crossover settings which is not neccesary. Most subs can be set at the same frequency and may or may not have the same slope. However there may be a small dip or peak that setting one of the crossovers differently may improve. All rooms are different as are the subs we use. Take the plunge and enjoy. There is a lot of info on tools and how to use them.

ET
Good points, ET. I have been thinking that with 2 subs, they would be run as monos. As many have found, there is some differential (stereo) information at these low freq and with two diff subs with two diff settings, x-overs, slopes, etc., I can see problems for music but probably not for HT. It is true that the two could make the bass more even, cover up for anamolies in the other, but if I was buying a stereo pair then I would buy a stereo pair. You would not use 2 diff speakers for L & R for full range or monitors. If you have access to a second at no cost, give it a whirl for sure, but if you have to buy the 2nd, why not get a matching sub.
I have two matching subs, and I have found it difficult to get really useful info on how to set them up. Dual subs should work well for music and for movies. I run mine in stereo. I have been playing with advice written on the RANE website on how to set things up [see the manual for the AC 22B crossover - it has timing (phase) and level setting instructions]. Their focus is more for setting up sepatate speaker cabinets for live performances, but the same problems exsist in our homes. Check it out to see if it helps.

As for two different subs...I am not so sure that would be great for music. Not that it would be bad, but I just don't know. For movies though, I always thought two were better than one to help get an even response from multiple listening locations once they are set up correctly.