Benchmark Dac3

I purchased the Benchmark DAC3 and hooked it up (with just the included Monoprice USB cable) to my MacBook Pro playing lossless files ripped from my CDs. Using the HT bypass to play through my Krell integrated amplifier into Audio Physic Virgo speakers (as well as listening through the headphone amp and HGC volume control driving Beyerdynamic DT 880s). With the panoply of input options I was able to do direct A/B comparisons between my Krell CD player and iTunes as well as between the digital and analog outputs of the CD player. I immediately discovered the balanced XLR connection making a huge difference in bringing out subtle details such as the breath of vocalists and the note decay of wind and string instruments.  Is this the case with all sources or just with this DAC?  If it is the case with all sources then I could never imagine purchasing a DAC (in an equivalent price range) which only provides RCA interconnections.  Is this more about the Benchmark DAC or the difference between balanced and single-ended operation?  Would you purchase a DAC without balanced XLR connections?
dave1215
I have no doubt both BEnchmark and Oppo make excellent sounding DAC products.

Chord DACs are interesting to compare to others like BEnchmark and Oppo in terms of technical approach.
If you trust measurements then Benchmark is outstanding compared to anything else.

If you trust ears then your taste is what matters and no amount of research can help as you need to audition....

That said, I am definitely hearing the lower noise floor with the DAC3 and it is truly remarkable to my ears. I honestly did not think I could hear the difference between a typical high end 110 db noise floor and the 128db of the DAC3 - so what I am hearing goes against my expectation bias.
Excellent advice from the Benchmark rep re: the greater importance of accompanying digital and analog circuitry, minimization of noise, robustness of power supply and quality of AC filtering, vibration damping, etc on sound quality than the relatively small specification differences between two great DAC chips, R2R, FPGA, etc. on a test bench.

Dave
I was so impressed with the DAC3 (function, form and fidelity) that I purchased Benchmark’s AHB2 power amplifier to drive my Audio Physic Virgo speakers with which I’ve never been happier.  Thank you Rory Rall.
@shadorne 

Your advice to audition is an excellent one. Unfortunately, in my case, it is somewhat impractical. While manufacturers such as Schiit and Benchmark who sell direct may offer a return policy, that isn't the same type of audition as going to an audio boutique and having the sales rep throw on a handful of DACs. And returns in cases of manufacturers who sell direct are not "free". Still, I get your point and it is very valid. Nevertheless, to a large extent I do intend to buy without first listening. My decision will ultimately be made by public comments by those who have the products, public comments by those who otherwise have subject matter expertise, the product manufacturer specifications, manufacturer reputability, manufacturer "trial" or "evaluation" return policy, and any other do diligence I can perform.