2017 Honest Cabling that doesn’t promote bankruptcy

Looking for experiences and recs for current mid to upper mid level cabling solutions

I’m talking about ICs and Speaker cables that do not require plans for high jacking an armored car with a couple gallons of chloroform and a helicopter with a really big magnet?

Neither is it a matter of seeking out an ‘all system’ same brand and model loom, though it could be.

In Your opinion and or experience which signal cables (or mix of) have proven themselves recently to enable a revealing system to maintain or demonstrate its integrity, truth and musicality on its best level?

Or, in other words, With which current line of wires or ‘cables’ would you feel very confident using to connect your upscale stereo outfit in 2017?

New, or pre-owned?

… and why, please?
Thanks so very much. j
blindjim
The audio sensibility speaker cables have to be pretty good.  The cable dielectric, geometry and gauge are the same as canare 4s11.
Not sure if canare uses PCOCC cooper but I do feel that PCOCC cooper makes a significant difference compared to regular OFC cooper.  I recommend trying one of their cables before you pay the big bucks for a more expensive cable. 
It's good to hear acknowledgement of conductor quality's contribution to superior signal transference and hence to the sound quality of an audio system.  The other two big factors would be dielectric quality and implementation along with connector quality.  If the cable is manufactured well you should be good to go.

The "X" factor in all of this is knowing your system and what to you is great sound along with the ability to select quality cables with all of the above factors in evidence that will sing in your system.  

That, for me, is the most satisfying part of the audiophile thing...knowing how to tweak the sound of your system to get what to you allows well recorded music to sound the most like the real thing.  Once there?  Focus on and enjoy the music!
PS  I am listening to "The Magnificent Steinway" by Hyperion Knight on an FIM CD.  I've never heard a piano sound more like the real thing and that is saying something as I have great vinyl of Nojima's recordings with Reference Recordings and Wilson Audio piano LPs.

I agree one should or must know their system well and know what they are trying to improve upon, or simply alter.

I followed some advice here long ago and began with Power cords. Sure, I bought some quite popular ICs and spkr wires too, but sure as heck did not want to.

With only basic mostly entry level cables, stock power cords, etc., I began to notice things were changing as each PC replaced the OEm PCs. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not. I filtered thru a lot of them! The Cable Co or back then called “Fat Wire” and I were in contact almost weekly. (see archived reviews of cables I’ve posted here)

With connecting cables things were slightly different. They all matter so which way you approach them is neither good or bad. Spkr wires first? OK… go there. I did. Again, with tons of input. I found a set priced right for me and bought them. Priced right for me means what I can’t afford, and then add 25% or more. Often, more. Neutrality in spkr wires was the theme and they remained even though all else were exchanged, replaced bought again, exchanged, and replaced again!

Probably one item aided me immensely in chosing ICs. Power line conditioning. I prefer passive, not active. Adding one, then a different kind, and then another and finally a step up in performance and price unit, all helped a lot. Albeit, the Running Springs haley was the last one added and that was well after all of the wire selections were made. Almost.

It is easier to pick and chose wires when the grundge is being swept off the power line and making it easier to hear the devices. A good argument for begining with PLCs could well be made.

Wires too are device dependant. Unless…. One wants to go “same + same” front to back, though I would say my EXP indicates get into the middle of a line or higher to start adding in the same cabling every where.

I found great results with mixing various brands and models in the past. Almost none of those are now current cables… so I’m starting over from scratch, almost.

A funny thing happens with cables, and components. Once I’ve found a particular sound I enjoy. A particular level of resolution and detail. Sufficient transparency. I will thereafter attempt to regather what ever devices or system to that same level of sonic purity again and again. I find this exceptionally humorus. It is nigh on to impossible, but we must all have some readily identifiable trait of mild insanity or they throw us out of the club. And yes… it’s the law.

All of this would be so simple if preamps came with tone controls… yes. That is audionervosa heresy. Super. Burn me at the stake. I’ll bring the lighter fluid.

I’m all in on the ‘no tone’ controls epidemic. Finally. …and no, I don’t use wires to adjust the tone. That’s what tubes are for!! OK.. OK… I’ll bring the matches too.

I know me and achieving the inth degree of transparency, detail, and so forth is not my usual tact. I could care less to know what color socks a musician or singer is wearing. Or if they have on underwear. Besides, we all know musicians and singers go ‘commando’ most of the time anyhow.

I settle for or stop at about the same spot I do with gear. Right at or just into, the point where any further into the rabbit hole begins to shed the involvement and fun from the session. When stuff begins to get bleached out. Its all leading edges and dynamics, we have sadly, departed from reality.

Music for me does have color. Timber and tone some would say. But it comes off as color when you must describe it.

I want the music system I possess to provide enough truth when its playing that it makes me want to yank out my virtual audtograph pad and ask for a virtual autograph from one of the performers. . which one? Well the prettiest one of course. Or possibly the one I feel I might get luckiest with after they’ve had a bottle of Beam’s choice or mescal. Nope. I ain’t buying it, but I will pour it for her. When she no longer can of course. After all, I’m no heathen.

I’ve drank with performers before. Most of the time I’d as soon not. Getting to know one better, might destroy one’s image of them.

The feed back here is outstanding and opens many doors I’d never have thought of alone.