How do you determine how much to spend on speakers

Hello all,

I am just starting out in this HI-FI stuff and have a pretty modest budget (prospectively about 5K) for all. Any suggestions as to how funds should be distributed. At this stage, I have no interest in any analog components. Most notably, whether or not it is favorable to splurge on speakers and settle for less expensive components and upgrade later, or set a target price range and stick to it.

Thanks
krazeeyk
You are all right. I recently read about someone who has a few different systems because they do different things. I feel most all our quality equipment today can be made to sound exceptional. So what ever speaker we get it can be made to sound great . Or whatever source can be made to sound great. I have found with my own systems optimizing them has been very satisfying. I then go to these shows RMAF or B & M stores and wonder how my system sounds so much better. Then quickly I realize why. It has taken awhile but now I can forget about the next best greatest amazing material and groove to the funky square waves without nary a distortion if you can catch my balloon man.
IMO to many in "HEA" devalue the importance of the speaker. Yes, I agree "garbage in garbage out" but putting 10k+ of electronics to extract every last nuance of a compromised $2k speaker is wasteful spending. My best advice is to go one or two steps above your original speaker plans. This way you avoid the finacial loss of upgrading and the PIA it is to sell and ship speakers!
If you want to find something you will be happy with, search your soul and your bank account and ascertain the most you can responsibly spend. Then double it. That should come out about right, IMO.
It should NEVER be a matter of money but a matter of preference and synergy.

Let me give you a real life example:

I'm fortunate enough to be friends with Larry who owns Hollywood Sound (Hollywood FL.) and sometimes we spend countless hours listening to music experimenting with all kinds of analog configurations.

To our ears, the unassuming Spiral Groove Canalis Anima ($3,250.00) driven by top of the line Rogue (Hera II/Apollo/Ares) sounded MUCH better that the likes of Aurumm Cantus Grand Supreme ($18,000.00), Sonics Allegria ($15,000.00), and Rega's RS-10s ($13,000.00).

Analog set ups:
Nottingham Dais
Townshend Rock 7
Well Tempered Amadeus GTA

Carts:
Lyra Etna and Kleos