PREAMP technology shift? - Class A/ balanced/ dual-mono/ zero feedback vs. op-amp preamps

Hi all,

Even ten years ago, it seemed that the gold standard for solid-state pre's was some combination of the following: Class A/ balanced/ dual-mono/ zero feedback or local feedback. Recently, I'm seeing a range of well-reviewed preamps, from Schiit to Rowland, that use new, high-quality op-amps in their circuitry, to the extent that I wonder if op-amp technology, and chip manufacture in general, has gotten so good that some of the tried and true markers of quality (MOSFETs, Class A circuits) are not in the market except at the highest end, and even then, see also Jeff Rowland. Or is it that manufacturers are looking to less power hungry designs (I know that Rowland was concerned with meeting EU efficiency requirements in its latest designs) and so avoid Class A, for example? Does balanced/ dual mono seem less popular because separates are now less popular than integrateds? Have we reached a tipping point with op amps?

Here's a more focused question. I have invested in a 90s era Aragon 8008BB dual mono balanced amp, but i have an early 90s B&K PRO10-MC that I want to upgrade. Is a Schiit Freya a significant step up, or should I save my pennies for a used, more recent example of the old school: Classe CP500, Pass Labs Aleph or X2.5, or a good example of a newer approach, the Rowland Capri. Speakers are Vandersteen 2CE Sigs. Input impedance of the Aragon is 44 kOhms. 

The tube route is always possible, but I like the idea of a no-fuss, very clean ss, valuing sound stage and detail over warmth, which makes me think I'd be wasting my time with the Freya (any shoutouts for its JFET stage?)

Thanks for letting me wonder aloud!

Paul

paulburnett
Y'all know that a phono cartridge is a balanced source right?

Why all this concern about balanced operation between the preamp and amp, when the more important place (if you plan to listen to phono) is the phono cable?

The balanced line system was created to eliminate interconnect cable artifact. I can't think of a better place to do it than at the point where the signal enters the system.
Hi Paul,

For your consideration: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-stereo-preamplifier-2017-09-18-preamplifiers

This preamp has everything you say you are looking for in a sonic signature and more. Only caveat is that the dealer ad does not say whether or not it has the optional phono stage. I found it to be worthwhile to build a XLR-terminated wiring harness from cartridge to the phono stage's XLR inputs as atma-sphere says.

No affiliation with seller but I have owned this preamp (with the optional phono stage) for 12 years and it is a keeper IMO.

Ayre service is second to none IME.

Dave
Just a note on the Freya.  I don't know whether it maintains true balance with a balanced input and balanced output in JFET or passive.  I guess I assumed it would, at least in passive.  I don't detect any degradation.

As for a single-ended input with a balanced output, it does, indeed, play in both passive and JFET.

This is with a Bluesound, which runs single-ended to the Freya and, alternatively, through coax to a separate balanced DAC which runs XLR to the Freya.  Freya XLR, only, to amps.

As to OP's original question--not a big fan of the JFET.  I use it primarily in passive and switch to the tubes when the mood strikes.  I know there are at least two folks around here that like the JFET.  IMO, the tubes are a nice bonus, but, if the primary search is for a tube-only pre, there are better for not a whole lot more $.

Sorry all,

here is jason stoddard explaining what I was trying to find out: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701...

so you get sound from all modes, passive, jfet, and tube, but only balanced thru tube stage. Fair enough!