Looking for Better Jitter Reduction in a DAC

I'm looking to improve the jitter control in my digital setup, which hopefully will create a more analogue presentation. I own a PS Audio PW Memory Transport, which sports a FPGA, and a Nuwave DSD DAC with a scaled-down version of the gate array.

I have owned a Chord which uses this technology and it was like listening to analogue recordings. I sold it only because it's soundstage was very forward, like sitting in the front row of a concert hall. My current PS Audio setup has wide and deep imaging, as does my Atma-Sphere preamp.
   I have auditioned the Schiit Grundir and it was a bit too fast in the attack and transients, but had the dynamics and deep imaging that I like. So, I guess what I'm looking for is a unit with a laid-back, realistic musical presentation.

The Mytek Digital Stereo192 DSD and Blue Circle DAC are in my price range, but there is no way to audition them.
  So any recommendation and advice is appreciated. DSD preferred, budget is about $1200 used.

128x128lowrider57

I bought this plastic spray from Home Depot and put a shield over the disks I made from thin card stock to protect the center hub.  This rubbery coating makes a BIG difference.  You used to be able to buy rings made of similar material and glue them to the disk.  The other things make a small difference, but audible if you have a resolving enough system.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

@audioengr , thanks for your interest and advice, Steve.
The PS Audio transport gets high marks for jitter control from users online. My PSA DAC is their budget model which uses ESS Sabre chips (no detailed info available), and does not use a FPGA device like their other DAC’s. So, I think there may still be some value to trying a reclocking unit.
It does use passive filtering and casts a 3D soundstage with excellent dynamics. The superb sonic characteristics is why I’m trying to make it work in my system.

As for as computer audio, I do have a Mac with CD rips and downloads, but currently it is not running certain apps like music players. There are some system extension errors and I need to get it serviced.
FYI, I still enjoy collecting CD’s and vinyl, especially imports. And I am an obsessive collector :-)

I will attempt to treat some CD’s; it’s interesting that you believe a disk can hold a magnetic charge. I think that the plastic coating may be capable of holding a static charge.
Many thanks, Jim

I used to mod DACs, about 20 different ones.  They all had strengths and weaknesses and many had poor design features that were obviously copied from another manufacturer that knew little about it too, even Sony did this.  The most common thing I found was insufficient power decoupling for the D/A chips and the op-amps.  Another thing I found was ground-planes that were broken-up, sliced and diced by traces, causing crazy current return paths.  Another is too many op-amps in series.  These things usually lead to an un-dynamic sound and a thinness, even harshness.  This is the deficiency with most preamps and amps too.  Another typical thing they do is put a 50 ohm BNC for the 75 ohm S/PDIF input connector.  Duh!!

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

BTW, its not a magnetic charge, its static charge.  The degausser evidently bleeds it off.  I know that removing static charge helps, however you do it.  Some people put the disk on a large solid piece of grounded metal.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Steve, interesting stuff about some DAC designs. This problem I'm having makes me keep thinking about grounding issues due to the harsh sound.
As far as outside the components, there are no grounding issues; I've tried different IC's (single-ended system), changed PC's, and checked for broken grounds and ground potential with a meter.

What is very curious about all this is that the I2I signal doesn't sound any better than the other connections; the ground and data travel separately in I2I. The reason I purchased an optical cable was to test it against grounded connections.
Now I'm wondering about the quality of the output from the transport. It is a refurbished unit with warranty and I did send it back to PS Audio for a transport upgrade and I have tried 2 different versions of firmware.

Maybe borrowing a DAC is the only way for me to perform a proper test.