Just retired and want to get back to vinyl listening

I'm reeducating myself.... after years of no TT and focusing on just stereo listening.. I had a some early Klipsch Hersey’s and some GENESIS speakers pair with Yamaha receiver and low end turntable 30-40 years ago -- I can afford a higher end setup this days -- so what are thoughts on pairing a luxman l-550axII with Klipsch cornwalls?

I like the Herseys for music in the day.. cornwalls seem to be larger herseys but may well need audtion some of the tower types folks seem to tout..

I still thinking on TT -- but may get a VPI scout or prime -- thinking through the cartridge choices and other things is still a serious education -- recc?

music taster are varied -- jazz to singer vocalist miles davis - linda Ronstadt and a host of others for vocal musics and instruments- soft rock of the 70-80s- to some classical

thoughts -- looking to 15-20K for the refit for stereo listening - but could stretch some if I like the setup

steventoney
Fson... in your paradigms - where are the Luxman - Accuphase SS class A types fit -- These are SS but do not seems all that "powerful" relative to most of the other SS offerings
That's a great question. When I brought up the concept of "tried and true paradigms" I am aware that I am opening myself up to criticism for making broad brush generalizations bordering on stereotypes. That was not my intent. So as to Luxman and Accuphase, both are actually "high power" compared to many Japanese high end set-ups, which tend to be vinyl front ends, SET tubed (8 watts or so) gear and AN style corner loaded speakers.Corner loaded speakers maximize room space and assist with managing bass response in thin-walled construction homes. Obviously there is a dichotomy between something like Shindo with absolute simplicity of circuit design using selected NOS caps and resistors and something from Luxman or Accuphase which offer a ton of switches and selectors much like the receivers of the 70's. Luxman tubed gear is drool-worthy both from the standpoint of construction/tactile feel and sound. More affordable than Shindo and probably Luxman and just as lofty is Leben http://lebenhifi.com/aboutus.html. By and large, Japanese and British gear is designed with the typical small listening room in mind, but the paradigms are different with the Brits tending moderate power solid state integrateds (Sugden, Croft) and standmounts derived or evolved from the BBC LS3/5A.
I think the Leben CS600 is a worthy piece -- but that gets me into a separate phone stage in my starting setup -- still not sure I'm quite ready to go there...  I know the "looks" are not the "sound', but I the retro look matters a bit to me for my starting project.. Already I may end with a mapleshade stand "industrial" looking to sit the TT and amp etc upon..

so far the acutal listening is been with "tubes" -- I going now to listen some more -- and they will swap in some SS amps

I just cannot really find a place yet to actually "hear" a luxman or leben even when I move -- I find nothing drivable within a day...

although it would be a secondary project --  I may well get a set of the smaller Harbeths or Audio Notes to listen to in the bed room setup -- maybe run from the same integrated amp in some way -- "b" speakers or via the pre out to a small amp with speaker -- again it would be a potential secondary project after the primary is done depending on what I-AMP I end up with...
steventoney, you're welcome to come hear mine. Still a long drive, I'm another 1½ hours past Portland. Nothing fancy, and not an ideal room, but would probably still give you an idea.
L.
builder3 -- thanks

I may do that once I get a place and settle a bit  - combine with trip west to visit some shops and listem more.  This is about your Luxman 590AX?

what speakers do you use with it? 

I'm still not opposed to used - keeping eye on the website, but I do need to move and get a place first..