Go DirecTV

After 10 years of Dish Network, I just switched to DirecTV. Wow, what a difference in the video output. It's like I bought a new TV (or 4 of them...).
I recommend the change to anyone before upgrading your TV's. Plus, they appreciate my business.
I didn't go high def but didn't have it before either. I have $4k worth of TV's and don't intend to replace them to go high def until they die. It may be a different story comparing high def to high def?
elevick
About 6 months ago, I installed a 2nd hard drive in my DirecTV HR-10 250 receiver. It doubles (possibly more than doubles) the storage capacity, was an easy install and works 100% perfect. IMO and in my experience, this is a great web based company:

http://www.weaknees.com/hughes-hr10-250.php
After 10 years of Dish Network, I just switched to DirecTV. Wow, what a difference in the video output.
Is it possible that your previous receiver was older and inferior to the one you now have and also compared to newer improved versions carried by DISH? I find it very hard to believe that DTV's receivers are in another league compared to DISH.
I don't want to totally hijack the thread so I'll say that I have used DirectTV for 10+ years and like the picture quality over cable. And I like that their use of Tivo as not in the midst of legal wrangling as is Dish with their knockoff equipment. Now for the hijack. I also have the HR10-250 HD receiver that I just got when upgrading to HD. I've been having problems with the audio being slightly out of sync with the video. Of course its worst when viewing people faces and audio doesn't match there lips. I've tried when the manual suggested (basically rebooting) with no improvement. Anybody else having this problem?
Dish HD is a far superior signal than DirectTV. Yes, much of it depends on the receiver and the Dish 622 HD receiver is really good. One of the satellites that Dish uses is broadcasting a weakened signal, especially to the Pacific Nortwest but this is not a problem if you already know about it.

Go to DBStalk.com which is a link filled with really involved satellite folks.
I've had Dish for a long time, and have been satisfied with it, certainly far better than cable. As I am in the boonies of west texas, I was able to get National network (Dallas and L.A.) until my Dallas was cut off and replaced with Chicago. The local podunk stations now offered by Dish(Lubbock) suck. They are smeared in standard def and football games are cable quality(bad). I now have high-def, which is fine, mostly, but limited in what I can get. If I had to do it over again, I'd try to stay with the national stations as long as I could. Not having network in high def is ridiculous, and highly political.