Looking for Better Jitter Reduction in a DAC

I'm looking to improve the jitter control in my digital setup, which hopefully will create a more analogue presentation. I own a PS Audio PW Memory Transport, which sports a FPGA, and a Nuwave DSD DAC with a scaled-down version of the gate array.

I have owned a Chord which uses this technology and it was like listening to analogue recordings. I sold it only because it's soundstage was very forward, like sitting in the front row of a concert hall. My current PS Audio setup has wide and deep imaging, as does my Atma-Sphere preamp.
   I have auditioned the Schiit Grundir and it was a bit too fast in the attack and transients, but had the dynamics and deep imaging that I like. So, I guess what I'm looking for is a unit with a laid-back, realistic musical presentation.

The Mytek Digital Stereo192 DSD and Blue Circle DAC are in my price range, but there is no way to audition them.
  So any recommendation and advice is appreciated. DSD preferred, budget is about $1200 used.

128x128lowrider57

Maybe the solution is just an in-line voltage divider.  All it takes is 2 resistors to drop the voltage a little.  RCA in/RCA out and 2 resistors.  This would at least show if this is the problem or not.

Another cause could be DC-offset.  IF there is DC on the SE or balanced signals all the time, or DC that increases with volume, this can cause many amps to have problems, even self-destruct.  Measure this with no music playing with a DC voltmeter at different volume levels.  Should not be more than 10 millivolts.  .01V.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

It is a bit hard to figure out from this end, of course. I still think you may have a gain mismatch (2.8V into a power amp with a 1.0V sensitivity). It does depend a bit on the design of the amplifier's gain control. Does it come after an input stage? If so, that input stage could still be driven into clipping. A cheap experiment would be to get some inline attenuators from Parts Express: https://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-12-db-rca-line-level-audio-attenuator-pair--266-244
Short of using a scope to inspect the signal, you could also listen to a cd with different levels of a test signal, and listen if and when the sound starts to distort.
Alternatively, what you hear with the digital source may in fact be perfectly fine, but unusual for your ears. You hear a difference with your analogue sources, but why would they be superior? Go to a live concert of a symphony orchestra and you will at times hear the pretty harsh sound that some would call 'digital', but that is just the real thing. Do not forget that FM radio is seriously challenged sonically, with high levels of distortion, reduced high frequency response, and limited channel separation. The same is true for vinyl. Both may sound nice and warm, but it is not quite the real thing.
@willemj , thanks. Attenuators may be the easiest way to test this situation. And good point about analogue.
I have season tix to the Philadelphia Orchestra and the brass section can definitely sound harsh at times, plus that is the nature of the trombone or Wagner tuba in some symphonies. But violin in a well damped concert hall should not present harshness, well maybe during a solo.

Steve N, DC offset was checked when I had new dedicated lines installed, not long ago.

Forgot to mention that my SS Sunfire amp with high gain also presented this problem after I received this DAC. BTW, my Chord DAC sounded very smooth.

Well, maybe it is your DAC. A cheap test on that score would be to buy a Chromecast Audio and use its inbuilt DAC for analogue output. It will give you a convenient streaming device in the bargain. The inbuilt DAC is by no means harsh. It has two analogue output levels, one is called high dynamic range. That name is a bit misleading because it is just a higher (2.0V) output level. I would avoid it in your case. The normal one is about 1.2V if I remember well. Once you are done with the testing, you can use the Chromecast's digital (optical) output into a better DAC.
I think the attenuators may be a cheap way to test the analogue output of the DAC. I would really like to find a DAC that I could audition for a trial period, and in the meantime save for a new unit.
As I stated earlier, the Cable Company's fee is too high to borrow a DAC from them.

I think I was able to reload software on my Mac so that I can play from the hard drive. The music players seem to working with no hiccups, so I'll test some downloads.