Looking for Better Jitter Reduction in a DAC

I'm looking to improve the jitter control in my digital setup, which hopefully will create a more analogue presentation. I own a PS Audio PW Memory Transport, which sports a FPGA, and a Nuwave DSD DAC with a scaled-down version of the gate array.

I have owned a Chord which uses this technology and it was like listening to analogue recordings. I sold it only because it's soundstage was very forward, like sitting in the front row of a concert hall. My current PS Audio setup has wide and deep imaging, as does my Atma-Sphere preamp.
   I have auditioned the Schiit Grundir and it was a bit too fast in the attack and transients, but had the dynamics and deep imaging that I like. So, I guess what I'm looking for is a unit with a laid-back, realistic musical presentation.

The Mytek Digital Stereo192 DSD and Blue Circle DAC are in my price range, but there is no way to audition them.
  So any recommendation and advice is appreciated. DSD preferred, budget is about $1200 used.

128x128lowrider57

AC power and particularly DC power can have a huge effect.  I personally stay away from typical conditioners that have filtering in them because they can reduce dynamics.  I have found the Plasmatron from VHAudio to be the best AC regulator for digital.

DC power for digital is equally dicey.  If the regulators are not really fast responding, you get higher jitter and reduced dynamics.  This is why I design a version of regulator that is really fast for digital and a slower one for analog.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

But like Steakster says eveything in the chain is adding or subtracting the digititus and the results are cumulative. Its probably not one thing.
I agree with this concept. So, here’s what I’ve been doing since my last post:

- Tried Harrison Labs attenuators, the highs were rolled off, so not a good test.
- Tried the soft dome speakers again and highs have a rough edge (sounds like distortion).
- DAC has the same harshness with my SS amp (Input sensitivity of 1.64V). No direct input like the tube amp, so preamp with 6db pad was used.
- Currently using the ifi SPDIF reclocker, but I2S still has better imaging with holographic sound thru my tube amp. Still sounds like distortion during high peaks.
- I got my Mac up and running and played CD rips thru USB. The sound is smoother than the transport, but still sounds harsh in the highs. Music was more enjoyable than with a spinner, so I will be expanding into computer audio. I’d like to give the Schiit Wyrd a try.
- Tried my backup CDP into the DAC via iFi SPDIF, same result as PSA transport.
- Now using all PS Audio AC-3 power cords; they are highly recommended for digital devices and sound terrific.
- Separate dedicated AC for analogue and digital.

The Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 was suggested, so I’m looking for opinions on the this unit. There are several available currently.
But I’m wondering if this unit is too old; no femto clock, no DSD, but it will interface thru I2S with my PS PWT.

Don’t have the funds to move up to higher-end due to unexpected medical bills. As always, I appreciate any help.

I had the same results with the SPDIF in stock form. The LPS-1 took away all distortion, bass is better defined, soundstage, imaging, and 3D improved as well.

Ric Shultz at EVS does a $65.00 mod to and the results are said to be superb.

5-10-2017: For those that are using coax input on anything.....you must use a modified IFI SPDIF Ipurifier.   Simply amazing what this modded thing does. Stock, it gets nothing but rave reviews.....modified it is another thing altogether......incredible!   The mod consists of damping, removing two LEDs (toslink output and frequency/lock indicator, and hardwiring/shortening the power cable from the power supply.   The price of the mod is $65 plus return shipping .

The IFI spdif Ipurifier has an unpolarized AC plug on its power supply. Please try the power supply both ways into the AC socket. It sounds very much better in one direction. Please experiment for best sound.

http://tweakaudio.com/
http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/LKS_Mods.html
Scroll down the page from the LKS link for a letter from a customer regarding the mod. I will be sending mine to Ric soon for the mod.

Peace

- Tried Harrison Labs attenuators, the highs were rolled off, so not a good test.

Resistive attenuators must be installed at the destination or you will have roll-off due to the cables.

Sounds to me like your DAC is the problem.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Steve, attenuators were connected to the input of the preamp. Then preamp was removed from system and DAC output > ICs > attenuators > amp input.