Current recording engineers - what cables used?

Two sets of questions for currently active recording engineers participating on this forum:

1) what cables are you using for power supply and low level signals in your recording studio? What is the overriding factor in this decision - cost, durability/reliability or performance? If higher quality is desired in certain applications, where and why? If these are trade secrets, tell us anyway :-)

2) what cables are you using in your home system, if you have one, and do you consider yourself an “audiophile”? What is the overriding factor in this decision - cost, durability/reliability or performance?

Some aftermarket suppliers of audiophile cables boast that their products are used in pro studios.  Others posting here have suggested that use has more to do with durability than exotic design and performance.  This makes no sense to me because I have build bullet proof power cables with hardware store parts at low cost that could be dragged through hell and work for years, but did not come close to more exotic design in terms of audio performance in my systems.

I would assume this forum focused on audiophile home gear might select for recording professionals that are more informed on the audiophile cable “market” and have more developed opinions on this, and so do not represent a general crossection of the pro industry.  But had to ask anyway.
Ag insider logo xs@2xknownothing
@maplegrovemusic 

+3 on the pink floyd article.  Thank you! It seems that much of the perfection that goes into the sound; the placement of instruments, the room itself, the equipment, the cables is lost when the final product (millions of units in this case) is manufactured and sold to consumers.  How frustrating that must be for the musicians, techs, producers etc.. I particularly like the comment about resolution- when it's gone it's gone.

@chrisr

Here is a video of the setup

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UqP32CeQuUw

It is a 100 foot Victorian houseboat. Van den hul make similar excellent microphone wires like Canare - in a starquad configuration for low noise. Of course they needed very long runs of high quality (low noise) cable to wire up all the rooms. A microphone has a very small output. These are not line level signals like you use in your home consumer stereo.

Noise from power is a common problem in studios - often electrical is run above and drops down - this is to keep electrical away from microphone level cables. When they turned the houseboat into a studio no doubt they should have done the electrical wiring again... hundreds of feet and microphone level signals present challenges.
All, thanks again for your input.  Not sensing overwhelming participation in this thread by active recording and mastering engineers, but perhaps they are not generally on this forum.

@shadorne , thanks for sharing video of studio so well described in the interview.  Very interesting.

@chrisr , I am going to take a wild guess that: 1. Many of the cable runs in David Gilmour’s studio (or any pro studio) are long, 2. That they are not all long, and 3. That the engineers use high quality cable for each application regardless of length because each are important and they believe based on their (exhaustive) testing that using better cables yields better results. (I mean really, changing directionality of the earth ground noticeably affects the sound of all other gear!?!)

My own experience (with only 0.06km of total cable length of all kinds in my main system) is that even changing out a 0.5m interconnect can have a favorable or unfavorable effect on sound.  This because as I have stated previously elsewhere, one of the important functions of good cables is to protect signals from stray electrical fields in the environment behind your rack, and the most polluted area is the square foot behind your gear where digital, power and low level and high level signals are all converging. In a pro studio, this electrical mayhem may be prevelant everywhere, but in your home it is at least occurring or likely to occur without adequate preventive measures at the back of your gear - so your wires better perform well in that environment.

And so, my take is sure, you want to protect and maintain signal integrity and linearity across frequency and time domains in cables, and long runs present a particular challenge all other things equal. But in especially “dirty” electrical environments you need to protect signals in even short runs AND THEIR CONNECTIONS. These latter challenges are faced by both pro studios and audiophiles, wherever cables of various types come into close proximity, REGARDLESS OF OVERALL LENGTH.