Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt, honestly, you would still like the DaVinci in your system.  The Boulder gear is outstanding. That said it is a bit bright.  Not fatiguingly so, but musically so.  You know that I like it, but can't warm up to it. I'd never own it personally, but many of you guys love that flavor and that's why these shootouts are fun.  

What I've found out is that digital is the most system dependent gear in our systems.  I've heard the same DAC in different systems have the same signature, but not sound the same if that makes sense.  You could take your system Matt and put it in the identical room with a different electric feed and it would sound incrementally different.  Just change the feet...OH, you did.  Just change the power cord.....OH, you have....

We've spoken at length about this off the board, but I wanted to post it here as it ties into your post and update.  
Hoping To hear an updated Emm DAC2X soon as well as a Merging Technologies DAC. The updated DAC2X is supposedly a really nice improvement. 

Also hoping my MP-64 Memory Player server will be arriving soon. And trying to arrange an audition with the Audio Doctor for some superb USB cables and maybe an in room listen if the Baetis music server. 

Matt,

Did you ever receive the Total Dac stack?  Curious how this company compares to crazy expensive dacs you are listening to these days. 
Hey. Haven’t auditioned the TotalDAC yet. Still planning on it. I have a few other auditions lined up first. Then I’ll try to make that happen. 
I’ve been following this thread since it’s inception and have posted sporadically. Like Matt I have had many DAC’s in my system although haven’t participated at his level. Following his advice and listening preferences has led me to in the last six weeks purchase used both the LH Davinci 2 as well as a Aurender  N10. All is I can say is WOW!!!  The combination has elevated the digital in my system to heights I didn’t know were possible. I also have a relatively high level analog system and felt it was always smoother had more body and dynamics and just had better quality of timbre and realism. The Davinci and N10 combo have achieved this level of SQ. 

I have to put a plug in here for the the Bricasti M1 SE and most recently the PS Audio DS with the new Red Cloud firmware which get closer to the Davinci in SQ than they ought to considering the price difference. Also the Music Vault M7 with AES connection is the equal of the N10 on PCM in my system and to my ears. But as Matt has pointed out many times on this journey he is looking for the BEST. 

We all have to thank Matt that we can live vicariously through his ears and wallet (lol) to heed his advice and then decide on purchases new or even used here on Agon for the gear we decide to purchase. 

This has been an incredible journey and through this threads guidance have reached the pinnacle of performance in my room to my ears with my chosen system. 

Thank You Matt

Jeff