Newbie Question

I've just ordered my first stand-alone DAC to demo at home (COS D2) and would like to understand what hardware I'd need in order to move from a cdp source to a hard drive/server. There are many expensive 'servers' available but I've also come across the opinion that these are simply over-priced computers dressed up as audio jewelry. It's very confusing!  Having amassed a cd collection, I have no desire to ditch it in favor of streaming. So, it would seem I need a way to rip cds, store the files and then some kind of software to manage them. . . right? 
There are all in one pieces like the BlueSound Vault, that already include a dac. Could I still use such for ripping, file storage but bypass the internal DAC?  My system: Jolida JD100 cdp (keeping as a transport for the present), Wells Majestic integrated, Silverline SR 17.5 monitors. Could I get what I need for say, $1200 used? 
stuartk
@stfoth: You mean the Vault requires an ethernet connection for streaming, or to simply play ripped cd files stored on Vault ??? Probably a dumb question, but this is all new to me. 
Not dumb at all.  I'm no expert in this stuff (why whatever I got had to be idiot-proof).  I started with Sonos Connects maybe a year ago to try streaming.

I believe the Vault 2 requires the ethernet connection to the router to enable updates, streaming, and the control from the phone/ipad,  There's an easy to use app for the control.  There may be other options, but here's how I have it:

Vault 2 connected by ethernet to the router in my office.  It runs with my office stereo system.

I use Node 2s in a couple of other systems.  The node 2 connect by wifi and can stream and play the ripped CDs on the Vault 2.

I bought a Netgear Orbi, but I haven't hooked it up yet.  I think, but cannot yet confirm, that you could alternatively connect the Vault 2 by Ethernet to one of the Orbi mesh extension thingamabobs (or one of the competing network bridge thingies) and get it to work that way and without a hardwire connection to the router.

The vault 2 also works like a NAS, and I could play the ripped CDs off the Vault 2 through a Sonos Connect running wifi in another system.

I may have overstated the lack of difference between the ripped cds on the vault2 and the actual cd through a spinner.  The differences in any case, to my ears, are very slight, but some cds sound better and some ripped cds sound better.  A more trained ear on maybe more revealing gear may pick up on it more.

Most importantly, the bluesounds are so easy to use, and having Tidal Hifi and the full cd collection at my fingertips leads to more listening, especially casual listening.

Hopefully, I don't sound like a fanboy for these.  At some point, I'll likely try upgrading at least one of the nodes...just not yet sure to what.

@stfoth: You don't sound like a fanboy to me. Thanks for the more detailed explanation! 
I use the Vault and bypass it’s DAC.  I also coincidentally have the OP Silverline Monitors.
  OP is correct that this can be accomplished using Computers only.  Network players are basically Computers whose OS is specialized for the functions required.
  I’ve done both the Mac&DAC route and the Network player—first the little Logitech Squeezebox, now Bluesound.  The advantages of using a network player is that it is a dedicated Audio component, not a Computer being made to function as an Audio Component.They run quieter and work better, but your mileage may vary