Reference disc player...UDP 205 or Marantz?

Hey guys....
I've decided to take the plunge, and get my last reference disc player--at least for a very long time--and I'm looking for opinions on the subject.
I really wanted to get the Marantz SA-14S1, it sounds fantastic for sure, but I started to read all the glowing reviews on the Oppo UDP-205. Is it just hype, or the real thing? Is the Oppo really that rare piece of equipment that punches that far above its price? Who here has listened to the oppo and/or the Marantz? How do they compare? 
Thanks! 
jonasandezekiel
Oppo does not play SACD-Rs ( DVD or USB stick with ,iSO on it or via DLNA) due to copyright restrictiions, but does play DSFs "cut" from SACD-R,

" Oppo does not play SACD-Rs ( DVD or USB stick with ,iSO on it or via DLNA) due to copyright restrictiions, but does play DSFs "cut" from SACD-R, "

Thank you for your correction, mikhaelkuz.  My mistake.  I was referencing my 105's owners manual and did not realize this functionality had been retracted.   I've never had the need or desire to use or verify these specific capabilities. 
     I'm thinking Oppo likely was compelled to limit the 105's  abilities via subsequent firmware updates due to possible legal exposure.
     Regardless, I still consider the Oppo 105 and 205 high quality and versatile audio devices that also offer exceptional video quality at a reasonable price.
     I agree with the suggestion that jonasandezekiel is best served by buying a 205 and deciding for himself.

Thanks,
  Tim
HI,

I read through this thread this morning and decided to chime in.

My system is Prima Luna Dialogue Preamp, Coda amp, and Thiel CS5 speakers.

The Thiels are demanding and need a lot of articulated detail to avoid hiss and sibilance. 

I used an Audio Space CD8  player that provided a lot of presence and liveliness but with a bit of hash on the very high end.

I read about the Oppo and bought the 105 when it first came out. It was an improvement because it reduced the sibilance.

Then I got the full upgrade from Ric Schultz at EVA and that was another improvement - more refinement and detail. The sound stage is wider than the speakers and the depth is there if it is on the recording. It still can be difficult to pick exact voices or instruments on some complicated mixes.

Ultimately, I would describe the Ric Schultz modified Oppo sound as a bit polite in my system.

I have listened to a Marantz 8004 in my system and thought it had more base than the Oppo but not quite the same smoothness.

Dsper
The combination Marantz Reference PM-11S3 integrated amp and Marantz Reference SA-11S3 sacd/cd player is the biggest bang for your dollar. Tremendous value in what you get in return. If sound , build and great quality matters this is the way to go for your money.
To anyone who thinks that Marantz has a rolled off high end, try some Brimar fuses and you'll never say it again. No need for an expensive mod.