Store auditioning and then buying on-line from others. How do you feel about it ?

Doesn't look too pretty, but who cares, right ?
inna
viridian
... I can’t stand dealers and find them to be the dial telephones of the new century
Why so angry? Why so prejudiced?

I think that the amount of internet savings plays a big role in making your decision who to purchase from. If the brick & mortar store is a considerable amount more, then this should ease your conscience about buying online. Tell them the online price and ask for their best price, followed by "is that the best you can do?"

Tell them that you like to support retailers, but at the same time you aren't made of money and the internet helps you afford these expensive toys. If he wants the sale, he will work it out with you. If he isn't willing, do what's right for you. 

If these retailers get put out of business by the internet, there won't be anyplace to actually hear these devices. We'll be buying on reviews, word of mouth, and not with our ears. Give him every opportunity to work out a mid-ground that is fair for both of you.
I mean, these guys are looking at making $8,000 for a couple of hours of their time
Hardly. Consider the payroll spent on all the time required to order, stock, and display the gear, the time spent by salespersons standing around waiting for customers, dealing with tire-kicking customers who do not purchase, and helping with post-sale advice, set-up, and consulting.  Not to mention the cost of stock, discounts on items that do not sell, employee training, employee benefits, rent, cleaning, bookkeeping, etc. etc.  I would not want to be in that business.

is it so unreasonable that I ask the store manager not to be an idiot?
Not at all. Capitalism is all about voting with your wallet.  I wouldn't buy from an idiot and in America you don't have to either.   
Cleeds, not angry at all, just don’t see the utility in dealers. That said, they have every right to run their businesses as they see fit and should not be used for showrooming as it is stealing their time and resources, IMHO.
Store auditioning and then buying on-line from others. How do you feel about it ?

Unethical, shortsighted, and harmful in the long term.