What are the best loudspeakers under $4000 to re-create lifelike piano

Over the past 4 months I've spent time with five loudspeakers.  On a scale of 1-10 I'd rate them as follows in their ability (with my equipment in my room) to recreate a lifelike piano.  Tekton Lore - 6.5 (great scale but tonal accuracy and clarity somewhat lacking),    Kef LS50 - 7.0 (moderate scale but slightly better clarity and tonal accuracy)  Kef R500 - 8.0  (great scale and very good clarity and tonal accuracy), Spatial Audio M3TurboS -8.1 (great scale and very good clarity and tonal accuracy and very smooth)  Magnepan 1.7i - 9.0 (very good scale with excellent clarity and tonal accuracy - very lifelike).

In your room with your equipment, what loudspeakers are you listening too and how would you rate them for their ability to recreate a lifelife piano and if possible a few comments as to why?
snapsc

@calvinj  Vienna acoustics

Taking another listen to the VA Liszts recently, I remarked that I had never heard the attack on the leading edge of the piano notes rendered in such a life-like fashion.  Of course, it will depend a good deal on the recording.

Pianos recorded in different venues by different engineers sound different. Period. I find that the wider the range of my system (using a couple of subs) the more enjoyable pianos sound, but all are different (did I already say that?). I recently worked as the sound mixer for an Eldar show (a physical young piano genius with a hot little trio), and after setting up the 2 condenser mics I generally use for piano…lid open…he thought we should instead try a large diaphragm single condenser I had hovering over the drums, and stick it in the piano with the lid closed as much as we could close it…sounded great. A unique approach to get what the artist wanted and some EQ to keep the piano mic from low end feedback and there we went. Was it authentic? I heard Brad Mehldau at a hall near Harvard recently playing un-miked, and although the hall has decent acoustics as far as that goes, much of what he was doing was inaudible to much of the venue…authentic, musically brilliant, too quiet for that room. I had a great time anyway.
russbutton105 posts

This is easy. Build the Linkwitz LX521 system. Easy to do for $4000 or less. And that includes amplification...

... Build the LX521 and have something equal to the big $60k systems you see here.

Agree completely - nothing noted above comes close - even the ones I previously suggested.  Didn't mention it, because I didn't think it was an option.  

Even the Linkwitz Orion's (which I have) would be better... but... it's hard to find those... and... didn't think the kit was an option.  
I grew up hearing a grand being played daily. Yes it’s hard to reproduce. . .

I recommend getting a pair of 20.1 Maggie’s or Martin Logan CLX’s used. They are close to your price range on the pre-owned market if you’re patient. 

Then drive them with some clean power with a low noise floor and do a sub array for the lowest octives. My dad (the pianist) came over to hear and was stunned at how real and powerful the system can sound. It is tough to get great recordings that actually offer the clarity and dynamic range of a real piano. I think a lot of properly set up top end systems can re-create the experience but few recordings stand up to the test. For me the sounds of playing: fingers on keys, pedal work, and pianist breathing heard in the quetest moments of decaying notes are the eerie real qualities of the live performance.