Are Magnepan MG-IIIa speakers problematic?

I have read on different postings how magnepans are difficult to setup, difficult to maintain, and basically are like a high-maintenance girlfriend or wife. I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of MG-IIIA speakers. I would love some feedback...Thanks...Also, can you still get support for them through Magnepan?
surferm10
Even though I am now recieving Green Mountain C-3's,
one of my most loved speakers were a pair of MG IIIa's.
They are magic driven with Spectron digital amps.
I never had any problems with mine to the day I sold
them.
I love Maggies!!

I have owned 3 pair of the 3.6r's, 1 pair of the 1.6's
and 1 pair of IIIa's. Never any issues..except tired
mornings!
Maggies have the uncanny ability to darg the listener into dreamworld. Yes, a properly setup Maggie pair can put many speakers many times the price to shame. I owned MG1c back in the 90's and the only reason I had to give it up was due to space constraints in my present abode, I do have a listening room albeit, I consider it small for accomodating the maggies. Many think Maggies do not have bass, I think that the best bass I ever heard in any speaker were the Maggies. Its squeaky clean and without any boom whatsoever.

If you drive them with a good amp (high current, high damping factor, with a flat response) of say about 150-200 watts at least you will get them to sing. Although Krell amps are fantastic but somehow I did not like the sound of the Krell with Maggies at all. I did like the Quad 606 II and Perreaux 3150 paired with it.

Magnepan has fantastic service and they can provide anything you may need. I reckon that if the speakers have never been serviced they may need the internal wiring checked and if necessary re glued to the mylar diaphragm. I did that to my MG1c's and the glue is available with Magnepan and does not cost much.

I was a Maggie fan for quite a while, had MG-IIs and then MG-IIIs (not the IIIA). I was driving them with a pair of Conrad Johnson MV75A-1s (vertically biamped) plus an Audio Pro B-250 sub. They had plenty of room around them and sounded fine. Then I heard a pair of comparively tiny ProAc Response 2s and suddenly the Maggies didn't sound as good. In an A/B comparison there was no contest and I sold the Maggies. But I remember them fondly and never had a bit of rouble with them.
It is an absolute must for every audiophile to experience living with a pair of Maggies.
I've owned two pair of Maggies. Neither was hard to set up for me. On down the road you may want to checkout the MUG on Audioasylum as Tireguy has pointed out. A crossover upgrade will push these speakers to another level.This is when you find out the technology hasn't changed much in these speakers over the last 20 yrs or so.The Maggies do some things that only a planar speaker can do plain and simple.Mine are 15 yrs old ..I had a friend over the other day. He listened to them for the first time and agreed they sound and look like they were built last week.Accept they have resolution and a separation of instruments that far exceeds the stock models. I am still trying to talk Tireguy into lending me his modified 3.6Rs permanently and while your at it throw in those JC-1s as well. LOL
Oh well I guess I can dream!!! Tireguy when did you say you were going on vacation again?

Good Luck!