Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
If you enjoy Mozart and similar, but just want a slight change, here's Ignaz Pleyel, Symphony 3/ 2nd Symphonie Concertante/ 6th Symphonie Periodique.  On CPO.

Beautiful, spacious, well-balanced recording.  (Or perhaps it's just my system finally coming together and relaxing.)
Have to check it out -- know little about Pleyel other than his reputation. The Mozart Sinfonie Concertante (violin and viola) is one of my favorite works and provides 3 spectacular crescendos in the 1st movement. Plenty of great recordings but like the Smithsonian with original instruments.
I hear that craig59, Hanover/ Goodman is an automatic must buy for me .
I have a 13CD Nimbus set of all Schubert’s Symphonies with Goodman and much of his chamber and piano works . A jewel . N I1766.

Thanks Again, TwoLeftEars!

Based on your recco ordered the Chandos Vaughan Williams CD with "Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus." You're completely right; this is a fabulous/addictive piece and recording.

Still haven't gotten the CD but am listening through Amazon music -- that automatically adds SOME of the CDs you buy to its media player. Sadly, this audio animal only produces MP3 files and these, truly, suck for quality orchestral playback. Can't wait to get the CD later this week, There is no sense of immediacy with MP3 -- the orchestra sounds distant and muffled (am using the best settings and computer equipment, btw).

Also took your advice and picked up the Chandos Pleyel Symphonies and the CPO Sinfonia Concertantes. Amazon puts about 1/5 of the CDs you buy into the AutoRip media player and only the symphonies appeared (suspect this is licensing -- does anyone know?). In any case, the Pleyel is what I remember from the Mozart quotes -- effortless and airy with a tendency towards casualness. Still, worth investigating.

Now its back to another listen of the "Dives." It's a keeper.

Schubert:

Must check out your Schubert/Goodman recordings. Have a number of the symphonies with Weil/Sony that are good but just a touch sterile. Surprise, but the older Karajan Schubert recordings are powerful and fun -- he had a real feel for the language.

BTW, not to offend you, but assume you are a big fan of the Schubert Quintet. Have grown accustomed to the Smithsonian recording played on all Strads. Oddly, took a little while to become accustomed to the timbre but now cannot listen to anything else. That second movement goes with you to the grave, right?