Recommendations for headphones under $400?

Pretty simple
Good recommendation for a pair of headphones under $400, these could be lightly used so new prices are not the limit.
Mostly listen to rock music so must have a fair bass response
Presently using an old pair of Grado that are really not that comfortable to wear at all, and do not have decent bass.

Thank you
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xuberwaltz
Yes I know there are LOTS of options at this pricepoint, that is part of the problem...lol.
I really do not know a great deal about headphones, by that I mean the names and models that are the best.
Sennheiser I remember having numerous pairs back in the 70,s and 80,s and thinking were excellent value for money at the time.
Sennheiser is still excellent value for the money but IMHO you're not really getting an excellent product until you're up into the 650 range or above. And since your primary criterion was good bass response for rock music, I'm assuming you want to stay away from open backed designs (which the most beloved Sennheisers, including the 650 and especially the 800 are). 

I'd absolutely think about (and preferably try to listen first) to the PSB, M&D, and Oppo options. All are in your price range and offer strong performance.
Not sure how big of a basshead you are, but, for the money, I'm pretty happy with AQ Nighthawk.  Enough bass for most of my listening.  Some folks don't like them, but I find them very comfortable and non-fatiguing.  Easy to listen to for long periods.  They won't rattle your brain very much.  Pretty sure they can still be bought new for 299 with generous return policies.  25 ohm, so can be a problem with some amps.

A lot of folks are raving about the Focal Elears and being 90% of the Utopias.  Pop up occasionally for around 550-600.  If it's 90% of the Utopias at that price, probably can't go wrong.  Bass on the Utopias is quick and solid, but not yuuge,  Love them.

I'm a headphone noob, within the past year, other than always having something cheap around just because.
    uberwaltz,

If you want good, accurate bass that's able to go as deep as the music demands without sacrificing mid-range and treble performance, I'd suggest either the Oppo PM-3 or Sony MDR-Z7. 
      The Oppo use planar magnetic drivers while the Sony use exceptionally large conventional drivers.  Both are closed back, very comfortable and very good but slightly more than your $400 budget.

Tim
@noble100
Has been a couple of recommendations for the Oppo but only ones I see remotely near my budget come from Hong Kong and not sure they can be trusted to be genuine?
Have to keep searching....